Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using HRD with wireless connection.  (Read 455 times)
W7KSO

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »

I would like to operate my FT-450, which is located in my shack in the garage, from my house.  I have a Windows XP PC next to my rig in the garage, which has a wireless connection to my Windows XP PC in the house.  Is this at all possible?  I couldn't find the appropriate forum on the HRD forums list.  Thanks for any info.
KB9VLR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:29:53 AM »

Yes, It's possible. I'm using REAL VNC to remotely control the computer by the radio. It gives full control of the PC, instead of using the HRD remote server, which only gives you limited access to HRD functions.

I'm using IPSOUND to convey audio. It's a handy program, but a little difficult to setup if you're not familiar with networking. The sound quality is very good, with options for differtn codecs... and it can run stand-alone on a LAN without internet. Others have used Skype, and I've successfully used Yahoo voice chat as a backup.

To physically get the audio from the radio to the PC, I was using a Signalink, but recently switched to the Microham USB III. The Microham has much better RF immunity, and better sound quality, which is important for remote base. When I first started remoting, I did use a homebrew interface with 1:1 transformers. I wouldn't recommend this because it's easy to pick up RF, and if your PC has a cheap sound card in it, you will pick up a lot of power supply hum and processor noise.

If you really get into remoting, you can pick up a pre-made relay board for the parallel port. HRD has a built in Parallel port controller to toggle individual parallel port bits. I use this for cycling relays to control the auto tuner, select antennas, and I drive a servo motor to adjust the squelch control between FM and SSB operation.

A good place to find info on remoting is on the Ham Radio Deluxe forums. Those guys have some detailed explanations for setting up IPSOUND and REAL VNC. Google searching for these programs will net you some good info.

Have fun,

Adam
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 05:12:30 AM »

If the PC in the garage is running XP Pro then you can use remote desktop, it will transfer both the computer control and the sound.

If you have XP Home, it is still possible, but you have to trick your machine to think it's a Pro version. See the instructions in this link;
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/14/install-and-enable-remote-desktop-in-windows-xp-home-edition/

Bernie
N3YZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »

As others have responded, yes, it certainly is possible to remotely control your transceiver. I use HRD on the host, with TeamViewer and Skype. All free software. No issues with IP addresses or servers. Works! Tnx es 73! John, Annapolis, MD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: