The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disappointment for New Canadian Ham  (Read 848 times)
VE3ZXS

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2010, 05:41:42 AM »

Hello fellow Enthusiasts,

I have to tell you that once in a while I get into a hobby that tends to suck the money right out of me.  I think this may be one of those hobbies.  I should have guessed when a close friend tells me, after chatting for a few hours about radios,  that it never hard to buy a radio if it comes home wrapped in a fur coat!!!  

I hadn't purchased a radio yet as I have been looking a few that will do both mobile and shack duty.  I had pretty much settled on either the Yeasu ft-857D or the Icom IC-7000.  The Icom model I have determined to be one of the better and more sought after radios due to it's quality and robustness.  I wanted to get a good radio for my first so that I would have a warranty and something that would last for many years to come.

Alas,  I have come back to earth and purchased a small package deal from a Gentleman in Alberta.  After conversations all the radios. I was told were in good condition.  Upon receiving them I have found that only one of the FT50's will even power on and the other seems to be okay.  FT-411 that came with it doesn't want to power on but I have now way to charge it either.  I know that old saying buyer beware.  I guess when I told this fellow Ham from Alberta that I was new the Dollars signs must have rung off the shelf.  

I'm lucky that I have a friend who says he will help me out and see what the issue may be with the radios that aren't working.

I feel like I am venting but I guess I just wanted to let other new Amateur Radio Operators know that when you are looking in to Used Radios please be ready for a disappointment.  Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  

Lesson learned.  Any one want to buy a FT-50R Thats doesn't seem to work. Hahaha

Thanks all for Listening and have a great evening.

-73-
ve3zxs
Dan
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 05:49:26 AM »

Sadly, you learned the painful lesson about scumbags.  They are everywhere.

Never buy any item that you count on working unless you can physically see it and see it work.   You will be less often disappointed.

As for the radio, give a call to Yaesu.  They may be able to either fix it for you or direct you to someone who can.  They have been helpful when I have called them about old radios.  Icom has as well.

Good luck.

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:37:34 PM »

FT-411

DOn't know what that is.  But, since you are talking about charging it, maybe it doesn't work because the batteries are dead?!  So dead they spewed chemicals?

Have you tried removing them and using external power?

Bob
K4FH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »

I may get flamed for some people when I say this but here is what I do.

I only buy a used item under these conditions.  I weigh each condition and then make a decision.

1.  Is it from a local ham I know?

2.  Does it have a warranty that can be transferred?

3.  Has it been used?

4.  How old it is?

If you try to pitch me a used radio that is old, has no warranty then I would only pay if it is at least 1/3 less than what it goes for at HRO.  

For example on HF rigs.  If the rig is $600 brand new at HRO and it is used for $500 I would most likely just go to HRO and by new.  There are exceptions to that rule but I prefer to be safe than sorry instead of being burnt by my cheapness.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »

Sounds as if you stepped in it right off the bat. Bad luck.  Well I have had reasonable luck buying used radios, more often they are fine than not, unless something really stinks about the deal up front. Generally though if you buy at affairs such as hamfests, you can ask to see it work up front.  Sometimes the guy will say he has no way to power it but bring it back if it does not work. Therefore you hope the venue has a source of AC or you can find a good 12 volt source to check function or at least power up at the time of purchase.  And if you sincerely feel you have been wronged, not just purchased something as is or with no specific guarantee of working, go ahead and flame the seller on the websites such as this to warn others, if you like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: