Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-R7 or Bearcat, or else  (Read 778 times)
K4FH

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:11:39 AM »

I'm going to take my nephew to a race in 2 weeks.  I'm not really big on NASCAR but I do like spending time with him.  

Last time we went I borrowed a Pro-92(?) scanner.  I'm thinking of buying one myself this time.  I'm not sure which to get.  

I'm thinking of something like the IC-R7.  Universal is having a special ant it is $200 now.  For a few dollars more though I could get a Bearcar that supports trunking. I'm not too interested in listening in to the Fire, Police, EMS, etc and I would lose HF reception.   I've looked at a PRO-137 that is on eBay but it has some gaps between 225 and 400.  

I have a 91AD so that might be just as useful.  I need something that scans fast and can still perform double duty as a ham radio tool.  Listening to repeater.  Using AM in UHF to look for PL noise.  Sitting at the beach listing to SWL.  I don't want to end up with a 'NASCAR' radio Smiley

Any suggestions?

Chris k4fh
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:16:19 PM »

Chris,Usually dedicated scanners scan much faster than h.t. type radios. I haven`t used the IC-R7,but i`m guessing it`s more what you`re looking for,with its d.c. to daylight frequency coverage and all mode reception. If you`re anywhere near a radio dealer it would be worth the trip to check it out. That price seems unbeatable.
K4FV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:34:19 AM »

The Icom 91AD will work very well for NASCAR scanning.  It has an outstanding receiver, good physical size and long battery life.  I actually preferred it to my Icom R20 for scanning AM/FM on VHF and UHF.  Program the desired NASCAR frequencies in a single bank in both the A and the B bands.  Then you can scan the single bank or use dual receive from the memory channels.

Also, you will most likely be using headphones at the race.  The 91AD headphone jack is a stereo plug with the tip for audio, the ring for programming and the sleeve as ground.  You will need an adapter to use stereo phones/earbuds.
K4FH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »

I purchased a Pro-164 off eBay to give it a try.  I have until the end of March to take advantage of the IC-R7 deal so that gives me some time to evaluate the 164 and sell it if I chose the icom.

I don't think the S-Meter is "real".  When hunting noise or doing RDF the S-Meter is critical.  At least I can change the mode type even if the scanner believes I should be in FM mode on 2M.  

I'm probably expecting too much from a scanner to provide value to an amateur operator.  I'll read over the manual tonight and see if I can do T-SQL, etc.  I have no clue how to test the trunking properties of this scanner in Gwinnett County.

I paid $80 incld ship on eBay.  I saved about $100 off the list price for this radio.  To upgrade to the IC-R7 would cost me an additional $120.

k4fh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: