Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does the X in a box mean ?  (Read 825 times)
G0GQK

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2005, 08:25:54 AM »

Hello everyone,

My computer with XP pro (so it says !) will download software on some sites but not on others.

On one site all that shows is a picture, the download informatiom and other items in a white panel are missing, and there is an X in a box in the top left corner.

What does this mean ?  Why is it happening and what adjustments do I need to make ?

What I have observed after reading a handbook on XP is that my computer is missing on some things, XP is not complete. Is it possible to have only a part of the software in a computer ?

My other computer running Windows 98 will download perfectly, but the software will be in the wrong computer.

Kind Regards,  73,  Mel G0GQK
KC9HKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 07:47:18 PM »

No, you’re not missing anything from your operating system. Is the x red in color? Then, If you are running a firewall you may have it set to block advertisements or you have the internet options under tools, privacy tab, meaning set to high, on internet explorer set to block these items. Your anti virus software may also be set to block these items. You also might not have the media player loaded on your computer needed to run their graphics. When you visit a site they all use different programs for their own little media player like macromedia flash player etc. Things have changed now since windows '98 you cant leave the door open anymore on your computer, you need alot of locks. Look for your settings first on ad blocking if that is set to high that will give what you are seeing. The reason that you seeing it on some sites is that you might have given your computer permission and said it was a trusted site.

Todd kc9hkn
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 12:13:24 PM »

Hello Todd,

Thanks for the reply. Modern day living has become such that we have to protect ourselves against every pest which stalks the land, and computer virus's are just one of them.

73,  Mel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: