Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interface between Computer and Kenwood 440  (Read 1198 times)
ZL4JB

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2005, 01:18:05 PM »

Hello all,
I have been looking around, and have read the reviews on this site and am a little confused.  I want to get a cable, or unit, that will go between my computer and my Kenwood 440.  I would like to be able to:

1. interface the two for general logging and contesting, so this would include rig control I guess,
2. work some digital data stations, I haven't worked any yet so it might include RTTY PSK, possibly CW (although I like doing it by hand)etc.  The broader the possibilities the better.
3. Anything else that might be appropriate that I haven't even considered.  

Can anyone help me focus on if there is anything I should be looking for in purchasing something.  Any advice would be greatly welcomed.  I want to get into this, but am a bit unsure as to where to start.  Rather than go peicemeal, I would rather get it right at the first go.  Thanks for any and all advice.
JIM ZL4JB
KE2EB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 10:33:45 AM »

hi Jim- I just read your quiry concerning  knwd  ts  440. I have been using  a  440  since abt 1987,, but using it now Only fairly Recently..for digital modes:).
I use eith/or a rigblaster interface,, or buxcom 'rascal'..both work Perfectly for my rig! the rigblaster give's both voice/digital,,while the 'rascal' is only for digital modes. my interface's are older versions..the 'newer' versions Probably much better(rigblastrpro,etc)..I do not know..but Anyway..late but hopefully..useful? to you:) vy gl/73!
ghcall ke2eb.
ps- make sure the af/rf knob! is not loose!(distortion!)
NN5G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 01:41:33 PM »

Hi George... Just happened to see this posting. I am brand new to the digital modes, enjoying ssb & cw, but thought I would get dragged into the future by giving a call. I bought a Rigblaster Plus to start with and was going to hook it up to my main rig until I sawe this posting abt usinig a TS-440. A 440 was my first rig and it has now been sitting in the shack unused. Could you tell how you hooked up your rigblaster to the 440 and how you like it? Tnx & 73 de Paul NN5G
AK5K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 01:13:23 PM »

Jim, others have addressed your question assuming that you already have the computer interface. Is this true? That interface requires an integrated circuit chip plus an interface in a cable. Kenwood previously sold both the chip and the interface. They are no longer available from Kenwood. However, there is an alternate at http://hosenose.com/interfaces.asp. You need both the LCU-3 interface (replaces the Kenwood IF-32C) [at $45] and the chipset [at $14]. I'm not sure what the shipping cost would be to you. I used this duo when I had my 440 and worked many stations on different digital modes using MixW.

Of course, you also need the sound card interface (discussed in the other messages) to enable you to encode/decode the digital modes. I personally use the RASCAL one, and it does great.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: