Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BEWARE: KG0WX IS DISHONEST!!!  (Read 6679 times)
WB0MMZ

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:48:02 AM »

BEWARE OF DEALINGS AND TRANSACTIONS FROM KG0WX, Ken Bessler from Wichita, KS.  He sells on qth.com.  Ken purchased an Icom IC-756 from me in November and never paid.  He told me a sob story and like an idiot, I sent him the radio without it being paid for.  I sold the radio on Ebay and he had positive feedback.  Now he won't answer my emails or snail mails.  He isn't even MAN enough to contact me and discuss it.  Ken is an insult to ham radio which is based on trust.  I consider it a brotherhood.  I am in the process of suing Ken in small claims court in Sedgwick County.  I have also contacted John Lock KF0M, the president of warc1.org (the local club in Wichita) and let them know what is going on.  Stay tuned for further updates.  Thanks for reading my listing.
N3XP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »

Why would you ever considering sending a radio before you got the money?  What possible sob story could he have told you that got you to give away the radio? Maybe the scamming was a good lesson for you. Next time you won't be so fast to fall for sob/con stories and maybe you'll start checking feedback/google before transactions.  

What is the local club president going to do about it?  He has about as much authority as Texas Propane Association Commissioner Murray Hogarth has.

Ham radio is not based on trust.  I know you might want it to be. But anytime someone is trying to separate you from your money or merchandise, there is no such thing as trust.

Remember, skeptics never get burned.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:32:03 PM »

The old saying still rings true: "A fool and his money,(or radio), are soon parted.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:05:23 PM »

Sorry to hear that this happened to you. I thought it was a brotherhood too. I have been a ham for 24 years and done dozens of deals and never been ripped off or disappointed. When selling, I usually wait for a personal check to clear. And if it's a large amount, I wait for the check to be PAID. (There is a difference, a big difference). You have to talk to your bank manager to learn whether the check has been paid vs. cleared. **Cleared means nothing.** And if it's a large amount I ALWAYS get a telephone number.

And yes, on occasion I have shipped under $100 items upon receipt of the check and before it even clears or even deposit it....just because I got good vibes from the buyer. Usually older guys.

Sorry, none of this helps you. But I don't think people should jump on you just because you were trusting.

You know, you might pay the $20 and do one of those Internet People Information finder thingies. I know you already have his address, but you might also get his phone if you don't have it. Also, they usually list RELATIVES of the person living in the area. You can call THEM up and try to get his work and other info. Hehe, call him at work. Call the Personnel Department and tell them they have a thief for an employee. Call up his relatives (after you've pumped them for info)and say "Hey, your brother/son/grandson is a thief".

I hope this works out for you in Small Claims Court.
Did you do this over the phone or by email? If by email I would report it to the Internet Fraud Crime Complaint Center. www.ic3.gov/
N9XY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:27:11 AM »

I also had a bad experience with KG0WX.

In July of 2009 he was selling a screwdriver antenna on E-bay.  It was a homebrew antenna and he claimed he was making several.  I paid for it with PayPal.  We agreed that he would delay shipping until he fitted the antenna with his latest version of his turns counter sensor.

He shipped the antenna as agreed.  It arrived here, and I was immediately disappointed with the workmanship.  In any case, I mounted the antenna to try it out.  The first time the antenna screwed up to the stop position something inside broke.

I e-mailed him with the symptoms, and he told me what to check. I dissammbled the antenna and the coupler between motor and shaft (epoxy glue joint!) had broken.  This is not what he told me might have happened, so I e-mailed back with pictures, told him I wanted to return the antenna, get a refund for the cost and I told him I WOULD NOT leave any negative feedback on e-bay.

Here is his reply:

========================================
Dear Michael -

I'm so sorry for your trouble. I'm really shocked to see what broke!
Please send it back and I will refund your $220 on receipt. Again,
my apologies for your trouble.

73 de Ken KG0WX - Kadiddlehopper #11808,
Flying Pigs #-1055, Grid EM17ip
=========================================

So I packed up the antenna and sent it back to him at my expense.  I sent with US Postal Service delivery confirmation.  I got confirmation that he received the antenna.

I waited for a week or two, saw no refund on my PayPal account..... I then began to try to contact him, but of course, NO REPLY.  As the original poster on this thread said, he is not man enough to take responsibility for his actions.

I'd be happy to add my name to the small claims suit!

By the way, I paid with PayPal but could not use their resolution system for a bad purchase. Why?  Because there was too much time between the purchase date and me realizing the deal was bad.  Remember, I paid, and agreed to let him spend 3 weeks upgrading the antenna.  Then by the time I got the antenna, found it was defective, shipped it back, waited for refund, my PayPal bad deal coverage time had elapsed.

Yes, BEWARE:  KG0WX IS DISHONEST!!!

Michael
N9XY
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:33:11 AM »

Well, shoot. I guess it shows that even a fairly high Internet presence and a higher level of involvement in the hobby can't be a reliable trust guide. You're probably about to get a little civics lesson in the futility of small claims suits in all but a few special circumstances. I suspect you may not even get him served with a citation and almost certainly can never get a judgment executed. It is almost a given that individuals who come to be sued for minor amounts over this sort of thing have nothing that's subject to execution. If you do the right kind of searching on Yahoo, you'll get some clues to what's going on with this guy.
N3XP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »

It amazes me that you guys think thieves are men or should be gentleman.  Why would someone who just scammed you bother to reply to you.  I doubt you would fall for his con again and send him money, again.  

This is like listening to someone who just got mugged being pissed that the mugger did not say thank you.

We have a legal system.  You'll find a DA, or police department that is willing to prosecute his actions.  If enough people come forward, the theft amount will add up to a felony and DAs love those cases.  Pursue is that way and stop complaining that a guy who robbed you is not man enough to reply to an email.  Do you really think you are going to get a reply?

It might go something like this:

Dear <call sign>,

I'm sorry I took your money and did not send merchandise, or I took your merchandise and did not pay.  But, I am having some money/drug/alcohol/gambling problems.  If you send a me a check for $200 to cover bank fees and shipping, I will return your money/merchandise.
KJ6FOB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »

I'm shocked at some of the responses to the original poster's message.  The guy posted here to let other hams know not to deal with this guy, yet he get back trite responses that have nothing to add to the conversation.  I thought this hobby was all about helping?  The original poster certainly was trying to help you all out.  Sad..
N9XY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »

Frank,

I see you are a newly licensed ham. Welcome to amateur radio.  And welcome to eHam.net.  I used to spend a lot of time reading the forums here, but almost every thread degenerates with many unhelpful, cynical comments being posted.  Much like the thread above.

I think this is the nature of internet forums and blogs, and not a reflection of Amateur Radio.

Michael
N9XY
N3XP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »

It was not just here, he posted on many different forums with the same story.  Additionally, you are only getting one side of the story.  The claims alone do not make the accusations true.  I wonder where the follow up is with the legal system.  If I was ripped off for a 756PRO, you better believe I would be looking for some justice from the justice system.

For all you know, the OP was nothing more than a smear attack over who knows what.

There are three sides to every story:  Each guys version, and the truth.
KJ6FOB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »

N9YX, thanks for the welcome.  

For what it's worth, I agree that it's not just hams that do that.  Most of the people I have met here and on another site have been great.  But there are a couple that just seem to never contribute to threads except to complain and degrade.

I am on many other forums and rarely have that problem.
KJ6FOB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 05:18:55 PM »

To the original poster, hope it all works out for you.  if you can't get satisfaction from the guy, you should peruse legal venues.
N9XY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »

To: Andrew - N3XP

Enough Already.  As we say in the south, you don't have a dawg in the fight, so why are you posting on this thread.

Check my post above.  I have a well documented case of a reverse ripoff from KG0WX. Its real. I have the photos and the e-mail. There are not two sides to this story.

What cracks me up is your N3XP.COM website where you are whining about powerline noise. Here is your quote:

"I have been going round and round with the power company about getting some bad poles fixed.  Every time they tell me they were out to fix a pole, the noise is still there and surprise, they find another bad pole that they will have to fix at a later date."

You don't seem to have pursued a legal resolution in that regard. You want to work with the power company, assuming they are wanting to do the "right thing".

Here is my advice to you: File a complaint with the FCC. Your power company will have to respond.  Good luck with getting the RFI problem fixed.

Now wish the rest of us good luck getting similar satisfaction from our bad deal with KG0WX.

No further reply is needed.

N9XY
N3XP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »

Funny you mention PPL and went so far as to research me.  PPL is out here working on the problem today as I type.  39 inches of snow had them delayed with things like downed lines and people without power.  It's pretty clear that you have never been through an RFI issue with a power company.  The FCC will not just take a complaint.  You have to show/document to the FCC that you have taken extraordinary measures to get the issues resolved and the power company has taken no actions to resolve the complaints.  These things can drag on for years.  I am lucky that my power company will actually come out and work on the issue, which has been going on for 5 months. It is a dance that has to be danced.  My issue will get resolved, it just takes time.  But, your diversion tactic was a nice try.

As for your well documented evidence you claim. It is nothing more than a one sided rant.  It you told us a court had awarded you a judgment, that might be different.  It's the same thing with you guys.  You get ripped off and you want to run and complain on every forum looking for sympathy.  When you don't get it, you act as if "how dare you people not feel sorry for me".  You went looking for a deal and despite all the signs saying to walk away, you went ahead and sent your money to a scam artist.  If it sounds too good to be true, it's too good to be true.  You got scammed, and you really only have yourself to blame.  If you are unfamiliar how online scams work, maybe you should stop buying from eBay or qth.com and stick to buying from HRO and AES. Cut your losses and move on, and realize it was a lesson learned that will save you money in the future.  The guy who scammed you is probably on to some other hobby doing the same thing all over again to another bunch of guys that have no idea how the scams work.  It was pretty clear from your post that he knew all the eBay and Paypal rules and you did not, agreeing to delay everything till the point where you no longer had recourse though Paypal.  You can't blame him for you not reading the TOS of Paypal.

Also, if you get an email from someone telling you about a fortune they need to get out of some third world county and they need your help, it too is a scam.  300,000 people fall for this one every year.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »

Also, if you get an email from someone telling you about a fortune they need to get out of some third world county and they need your help, it too is a scam.  300,000 people fall for this one every year.

I was pleased to see that the most recent appeal I received was for money trapped in Haiti, rather than Nigeria. I should be able to get the fortune much more quickly, then.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: