Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Test  (Read 29887 times)
KC9EOT

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »

Chukie boy, we HAMS are better than CB, you dont need to take a test to get on CB, you obviously dont have to have any honor or self respect based on the language and grammer, you obviously dont care about laws based on the over powered amplifiers and 10 meter radios. You talk about getting cussed out on CB, look at your CB buddies, oh well you enjoy CB so much stay there.
KC9EOT

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »

Chuck you couldnt file a valid complaint with ARRL anyway, it wasnt an ARRL test session, it was W5YI
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2010, 01:54:04 PM »

Well, I've read 10 pages of this and here's what it all boils down to:

1) The W5YI VEC rules say the VEs can refuse to test anyone, for any reason. That may not seem fair, but it's their rules.

The flip side of that coin is that no one has to to go to a particular VE session or VEC; there are others.

2) FCC considers "character" issues when issuing licenses. That means a person who behaves 100% perfect on one radio service but has "issues" on another may find ALL his licenses in jeopardy. In fact, ANY violation of the Communications Act, or ANY felony, can be a reason to lose your license, be refused an upgrade, etc.

3) (This is the big one) The license is a PRIVELEGE, not a right.  

Like 'em or not, them's the rules. I didn't make them, I'm just telling how it is.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »

1.Obviously someone has overestimated their boom length.
The W5YI manual has a rewrite in its future.
It's not a diner it's a volunteer organization. Either volunteer or don't. But don't give me this I volunteer for some people or most people or all except this one.

2. Sure...they had about 11 years apparently to take care of whatever is "wrong" with this guy's character,behaviour or body odor. They did nothing it seems other than taking the opportunity to hide behind the personal and subjective "loophole" of "refuse anyone for any reason"

3. No argument there. You test, you pass, you get and keep. Unless someone makes a case why you should not have one with the FCC and it gets taken away.By the FCC. And it won't be  "for any reason".  Not hide behind the "refuse to test for any reason".

Just my version of what this boils down to Smiley
N3MQM

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »

I'm in!!
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2010, 06:44:57 PM »

Me too.

Just a few more and we break 100!!

Rick
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2010, 04:37:11 AM »

What happens at 100 ? Smiley
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2010, 05:48:09 AM »

To KF6QEX:

I'm not saying the W5YI rules, or FCC rules, are right or wrong.

I'm just saying what they are. And the way they're written, W5YI VEs can refuse to test anybody, for any reason. Apparently the VEs at the test session had a reason.

The FCC doesn't have the resources to screen every licensee for character issues. But when issues are brought up, they do consider them.

There was a case right here on eham where a newly-licensed amateur got a notice of his license being cancelled for no apparent reason. Turned out the guy had done time for a serious conviction. When the FCC found out, they pulled the license.

Some may not agree that someone's behavior on cb should have any effect on their amateur license. FCC says it does. That's my point.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2010, 07:14:16 AM »

Yikes! This is a long thread! It's interesting though!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2010, 09:24:59 AM »

"And the way they're written, W5YI VEs can refuse to test anybody, for any reason."

Then they are in violation of FCC §97.521(d).

FCC §97.521 : VEC Qualifications.

No organization may serve as a VEC unless it has entered into a written agreement with the FCC.

The VEC must abide by the terms of the agreement.

In order to be eligible to be a VEC, the entity must:

(d) Agree to assure that, for any examination, every examinee qualified under these rules is registered without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin or membership (or lack thereof) in any amateur service organization.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2010, 10:28:39 AM »

"Then they are in violation of FCC §97.521(d)."

Ooops, I better change that to "If that is true, they *might* be in violation of FCC 97.521(d)".

Don't want to be sued for libel/slander/defamation,blah,blah,blah, and I have nothing against W5YI.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »

"(d) Agree to assure that, for any examination, every examinee qualified under these rules is registered without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin or membership (or lack thereof) in any amateur service organization."

Right.

But it doesn't say anything about other reasons. Such as character issues.

It would be interesting to present the whole thing to FCC - complete with all the postings here - and see what they say.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2010, 11:31:30 AM »

Gezz i hope this guys doesnt try to come down here and try to test with the local club im involved in! And what the heck is "Gamespot"? Is it some sort of goofy role play or video game site?
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2010, 11:35:57 AM »

Looks like you can take the CB away from the CBer but you cant take the CBer out of the CBer.

Thank you FCC for lowering our standards for getting in to ham radio..
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »

GAmespot == video game site
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: