Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Type with tube radio  (Read 934 times)
AB7JK

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2005, 08:26:22 PM »

I want to use CW Type to key my TS-830S. Since this radio uses grid block keying none of the known interfaces are suitable for this.

One possible solution is to use no interface and run the soundcard audio directly to the mic input on the tranceiver and run the radio in SSB mode using VOX. Has anyone tried this? Are there any rules or regulation regarding running CW in SSB mode? Any zero beating issues? I've listened to the cw note of the soundcard output and it sounds acceptable. Any suggestions from someone who has tried this is appreciated.  Kim AB7JK
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 05:59:52 AM »

Running CW via the mike input can be done however there are a number of issues. If you have any noise or hum or RF getting into the audio due to grounding issues with the interface then you will be putting out spurious emmissions in the CW band. Of course you will be stuck with using a wide SSB filter and can't use the narrow CW filters if your rig has them installed.

Zero beat shouldn't be an issue - just make sure to tune the received signal for the same tone that your sound card is using to key the audio.

Personally, I think you'd be better off to build a proper keying interface. You could use a transistor to key a small read relay or you could build a solid state keying circuit using an opto-isolator and a high voltage transistor. You should be able to find some circuits on the Internet. A solid-state amp keying circuit might work. Many amps have the same high-voltage keying issue.
VE6TL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 06:49:46 AM »

I have a TS-530S and overcame this problem using a HAM KEYER HK-5A.  It has two outputs: "Direct" and "Grid".  The "Grid" output was designed for grid block keying and will work with your rig.  You can plug a paddle into the paddle jack and then connect your computer interface to a 2 conductor phone plug that goes into the Key input jack of the HK-5A.  In this way you can use your PC to generate CW and over-ride it with your paddle, if you so choose.

I've seen a bunch of these Keyers around and it shouldn't be too hard to locate one.

Jerry
VE6CNU
K4CZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 07:35:14 AM »

I also have a TS-830s and plan to use the following device:

Universal Keying Adapter 2
http://www.hamgadgets.com/product_info.php?products_id=75&osCsid=91d1c7a85e3812c7fd406feeaea39b62

Info from the N0XAS website:

Keyer to transmitter interface
Computer to transmitter interface
Transmitter to amp interface
Anti-shock key to rig interface for "boat anchors"

Use this to key nearly any solid state, grid-block or even cathode keyed rig transmitter, transceiver or amplifier. This totally silent solid state relay is rated for a whopping 400V DC or AC, at 140 mA! Use it to key your tube amp from a solid state rig, or keep that high voltage off your straight key - no more getting zapped when you accidentally touch the wrong part of the key!

Barry K4CZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: