Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...where are the casual DX qso's  (Read 1547 times)
K0XY

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »

...well first, understand that I am operating in Colorado in a CC&R neighborhood...so the best I can do is is put up a small temporary vertical (with radials)...and typically when I check 20m CW the band is very, very empty...15m cw is like no-man's land

...so, I am not one of those that claim they worked 75 new countries, over any given weekend, qrp, with a "whatsit mobile stick"...I have plenty of radios, and amps, and the vertical...but 20cw is pretty empty...until a contest weekend...then all sorts of stuff starts happening

...so, I'm wondering, has our operating habits changed in that we work far less casual cw and cw dx and merely wait for the contest weekends and then operate like there is no tomorrow Huh??
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »

Not sure what times you're checking the bands.  20m, 17m, and 15m were full of DX signals this morning.  (28 Feb)
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »

I work CW DX everyday from a CC&R neighborhood using a screwdriver antenna. 80 meters to Europe many nites and sometimes 160 meters. 20 meter DX is an everyday thing.

Are you on at the right times? To see when the band is open to your area check the DX Cluster Spots (look to the left of this page).  

Do you have an extra class license? The DX hangs out below 14025 kHz. Without an extra, CW DX is not going to work well.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:05:26 AM »

I see that you have an extra. You are all set. What will help considerably is an amp. An inexpensive AL-811 amp will give you 600 watts. To your CC&R friendly antenna you will work plenty of DX.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »

Point your antenna towards Europe in the morning and you'll have lots of stuff to work on 20M. And where you are, 15M and 20M will open to Japan and asia in the late afternoon.

40M can open up almost anytime overnight to anywhere.

As to contesting vs casual... both are good. But in my logs, simply because a contest can have 100 QSO's an hour for many consecutive hours, the contest QSO's outnumber by far the casual ones. Quantity is not job one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: