Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Print LPT1 via USB from old DOS programs  (Read 1529 times)
K6TFZ

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2006, 11:03:38 AM »

I have an old DOS program which I often used until my old computer quit. Here is the problem: On the old computer I had to connect a special dummy plug onto the LPT1 jack to start the program and then it plotted out on a serial port. The new computer only has USB out. I bought a USB to Epson printer cable and it works fine into an HP-4050 for everything else. I can't start the DOS program because there is no place to plug in the special dummy plug to start the old program. I bought a USB to serial out cord but don't know if it will yet work.

I have another program which is Foxpro based and is made to print to LPT1 which I don't have and it won't print to the USB to Epson cord. The person who wrote the Foxpro program is no longer around.

Any suggestions?  Thank you.   Geoff, K6TFZ
K6TFZ@aol.com
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 11:31:23 AM »

The device that plugs into the LPT1 port is commonly called a 'Dongle'.  If your DOS program requires this device to operate, you have no recourse.  As far as the FoxPRO based program, the port assigment is hardcoded into the program and, as before, you have no recourse.

Dennis KG4RUL

Windows, an eternal work in progress!
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 07:52:47 PM »

hi,

not sure how old your pc was before it quit,
maybe you can find a replacement  motherboard
if you had a desktop,otherwise, an older laptop
could be the solution to your problem
when you have to run these older programs.

73 james
KA8AHF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 07:02:24 PM »

I'm guessing that your new computer is running Win XP?

First, share your printer. Click start, got to settings then click on printers and faxes.
Find your HP-4050 and right click on it. Go down and  left click on properties. Click on the sharing tab.
Click on Share this printer. In the box that says Share Name: give it an easy name like HP4050.

Now find your computers name. Right click on my computer. Left Click on Properites. Left click on the computer name tab. It will say Full Computer Name.

Click Start, Left click on Run. In the box, type in the word command. This should open a DOS box.
At the DOS prompt type:
net use LPT1: \\computername\HP4050 then hit the Enter
key. Remember to put in your computers name where I have computername. If you typed this in correctly, the computer will respond with: The command completed successfully.  You have told your computer to grab everything addressed to LPT1 and send it to the shared printer named HP4050.

If you restart your computer you'll have to re-enter the net use command. Or you could put the net use command into a short batch file that runs each time you restart your computer.

Hope this helps.
73 KA8AHF@W8AL.ORG
KA0IES

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 06:14:08 PM »

If your computer is a desktop or tower type computer with PCI expansion slots, one can install an expansion card with printer ports on it.  I don't know what your local computer shop has available or is capable of getting but I know the shop I work at is able to get dual port boards.

If your computer is a laptop then there are problems with that setup that I can't think of any suggestions right now.  
WA7CC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 10:01:06 AM »

For a desktop machine, add a parallel port card -- about $15 and easy to install.

For a laptop, there are PC Card (PCMCI) parallel ports available. I no experiance with them.
KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 01:30:46 PM »

Do you have the source code for the Foxpro program? Do you have the Foxpro enviroment or its it a EXE program?

If you have the source code and want the printer changed I can change the Defalt (I dont want to get into pages and pages of code) and recompile it for you in Foxpro 2.6 For Dos.

I still use Foxpro in our Cashregisters and Inventory Control Software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: