Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lights flickering  (Read 2407 times)
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »

Nathan, the only thing I've heard on 14.275 in years is broadcast station K1MAN.

I was just trying to interject a little humor into the thread. I talk to all my friends the same way. If one of my friends told me that they got their resolve from Captain Kirk, I would have told them the same thing. I think you take life too seriously. And Chuck doesn't seem to take life (or amateur radio) seriously enough.

I hope Chuck takes and passes the General test, and I wish you the best of luck mentoring him. You have to admit he needs a mentor, and since you apparently live near enough to know him personally, I'd say the first thing you need to do is lecture him about the perils of posting foolishness on eHam. I don't mean this as an insult to you. I really hope you can do him some good.

I suspect his carburetor is set just a tad lean based on the posts of his I've read on this website (inviting folks he doesn't know to a violent confrontation at "Tuesday Burger" or something like that) and seeing his YouTube videos where he acts out the persona of "Captain" while fiddling with toy hero doll effigies. There's something going on there that I don't think you want to admit. Call it what you will. Driving with the shades down. One brick short of a full wheelbarrow. Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor. Need I say more?

At his age, posting videos of yourself on the internet drinking beer and acting the fool on an illegal CB radio with a linear amplifier attached isn't exactly going to make you a lot of friends in the amateur radio hobby. And the sad part about it is that Chuck doesn't understand why he's not well-received after displaying all this foolishness. Oh, I'll agree that lots of people do what he does, but they don't flaunt it and ask the amateur radio public to agree that it's acceptable behavior. I mean, for Christ's sake, he didn't even understand that tuning up his HF set on the air into an antenna before he upgrades his license is illegal! I'm really surprised that the FCC doesn't pull his license after his gleeful posting on here asking for advice on how to perform this illegal operation!

But you know what? He's not alone! I was talking with two friends Sunday night on 75M, and another station came on the air. I looked up his callsign, and I'll be darned if he wasn't a tech, and didn't know that his license doesn't convey voice privileges on 75M!!! This tells me that our licensing system is broken. Is it Chucks fault that nobody told him he can't do that? Nope. It's his OWN fault for not finding out before he did it!

So- Chuck, DON'T TRANSMIT VOICE BELOW 10M UNTIL YOU UPGRADE YOUR LICENSE! If you DO, then make sure you transmit ONLY in CW, and identify, and do it on the part of the HF bands where your tech license allows. Now you know. In the meantime, download a copy of Part 97 and read it front to back so you don't do anything else illegal. And please, don't put any more videos of yourself on the internet doing stupid stuff! Think before you post: if I post this on the internet, is anyone going to make fun of me for it? Nathan seems reasonably intelligent. You might want to give him a call and run your questions by him before you post them in a forum that is open for the entire world to see. I don't really think you intend for your posts to come back and bite you in the butt. Your choice of subject matter is so basic, most of us feel that you should already know the answer to the question you're asking here. Especially since you've been licensed for more than 10 years!

I really do wish you the best of luck, Chuck, but you're bringing a lot of these problems on yourself.

Here's a calculator that will answer your question. http://www.wirelessconnections.net/calcs/rfsafety.asp If you need a "meter" to measure the RF, you'll want what is commonly called a Field Strength meter. You'll also have to learn how to use it to take accurate measurements, and teaching you that is beyond the scope of this forum.

73, -AJ4VM
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 07:47:27 PM »

Almost forgot- the other cause of lights flickering is that you may be drawing too much power off of the circuit. It might not be RF causing your problem at all.

-AJ4VM
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »

Youre right your  double post is in poor taste. You are saying I do not deserve my general ticket . Well you have no say so in it. Have had my tech no code for almost 12 years and now you say I dont deserve it . Whatever.The local vecs got involved with cb stuff and never even got my side of the issue.I tried to talk to one of the vecs months before but he was allways busy.And I doesnt matter anymore because I have got why I was trying to get . I have moved on so should everyone else .Nothing anyone can do about my upgrade I did not do anything to keep me from it. Keep your preaching to yourselfs.I am going to get along well in the hf comunity just fine.Maybee some day we can talk. Oh by the way everybody in my area rolled on me . I have vacated all the local repeaters. Oh thats right as was stated in my general post I have been kicked off every repeater which is a lie . But most people who I thought were my friends did not even get my side of the story they  just rolled on me.So much for acting like mature adults/ham operators.So the hf world is  another world.And I should have got my upgrade years ago. Now I need more property for antennas.Everyone now you know the truth. The unvarnished truth. The gospel.. There should be a q-code for backstabber.
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 05:23:51 AM »

I don't mean to make light of other's deficiencies. Honest!

http://www.fullduplex.org/tardblog/

All the stories on this blog are real. They're written by schoolteachers.

#16, Joe's assignment, seems peculiarly symmetrical with this (and the "General Test") thread.

And Chuck, nothing personal. I mean this with the best intentions. Stick with CB. I think it suits your personality better. If I can help you in any way, I'll be glad to. If I'm going to have to vote, I have to agree with the VE team.

-AJ4VM
KC9EOT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 09:10:51 AM »

Chuck YOU are tranmitting period, that is against the law until you are a general
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »

"And I doesnt matter anymore because I have got why I was trying to get ."
A remedial English tutor?
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 08:49:43 AM »

kc9eot ROBINSON, HARRY only hit the tune button once never again. And dont worry about it mind your own buisness.Thats the problem in this world to many hypocrits and backstabbers . Mission Accomplished .. Now with that said I will be doing a special event station this weekend. With my...
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »

KC8KTN
"Now with that said I will be doing a special event station this weekend. With my..."

...Control Operator of the Special Event station looking over my  shoulder the entire time to make sure I obey the rules. Oh, and you *can* use General or Extra priviledges with the Special Event station as long as the S.E. Control Op has those priviledges. So participating in an S.E. station proves *nothing* about the status of your ticket.

Pray tell enlighten us as to which Special Event you're participating in? If you're not too chicken...
Or shall we listen for "The Captain" and " Breakity-Break-Break-Breaaaakkkkkk......Come on??".
KD8KEO

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 12:29:14 PM »

Chuck,
What has made you so cynical?  I have read the threads from the beginning and it seems you have a propensity to
turn every comment into an personal attack against you.  The reply's to your initial question started out as honest comments.  Knowledgeable operators tried to advise you that, as a operator with a Tech license, you made a error when you pressed the tune button when you were on 40 meters. They were merely telling you that you should not broadcast the error on forums such as this.  

I have only been a ham operator for one year.  During that year, and leading up to me getting my ticket, I welcomed the advise and mentoring from veteran operators. I continue to seek the advise of other seasoned operators.  You can only gain so much knowledge from books.  The rest has to come from personal experience, hours of operation and, from Elmers.  This is a wonderful hobby and I'm having fun with it.  I wanted to be a Ham operator since I was a teenager...that's a long time ago.  Retirement has made it possible.

I hope you pass the test for the general license Charles.  It will open up a new world for you.  Since I got my General license I have made over 200 contacts around the world.  These are people that I would never have had the opportunity of talking to if I didn't have the General license.  I'm currently studying for my Extra class license so I will have access to all areas of the HF bands.  I suppose I could operate outside the limitations of my General license but, I choose not to.  It is called good operating practice and, its in violation of FCC rules.  Although I have memorized the HF "Band Plan", I have a copy at my station at all times.  Now, before you ask - have I ever made a mistake?  YES I have!  I didn't blame anyone.  I learned from it and moved on.

I would hope that you just listen to what the Elmers" have to say and not attack anyone that writes something you may not want to hear.  It has become personal only because you have made it personal.

Good luck and, 73!
 Bernie KD8KEO
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 12:44:01 PM »

"General Test" and "Lights flickering" have been the most entertaining threads on eHam in a LONG time! I can't remember when I've laughed so hard!

Chuck.... if 99% of the posts in the threads you start tell you you're doing something wrong, and you get only one or two guys who agree with you, what can you deduce from that? (HINT: "Only the one or two guys on my side are right" is NOT the correct answer!) Some of us tried to help you. Honestly! When we try to tell you what the problem is, you routinely ignore good advice and opt for responding to insults with more insults.

I'm going to give you some "life advice". This and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee at McDonalds. Do with my advice what you will, but I'm telling you, it'll save you a lot of grief.

1. Nobody is "out to get you". You don't need to "defend your honor" here. Nobody wants to meet you at "Hamburger Tuesday" for a round of fisticuffs, or to talk to you about the problem. On the contrary, the cat is out of the bag, you aren't amateur radio operator material (as long as you carry the attitude on your shoulder), and it's now time for "damage control".

2. I suggest that your first step is to read, and then re-read, part 97. Know it from front to back. Learn what your frequency privileges are, and what you're allowed to do. Also snag yourself a copy of the Amateur Radio Handbook and read, read, read. The answers to most of your questions are in there. Your "lights flickering" question is one that you should have been able to answer without help from others. If not, that's a good reason that you're not amateur radio operator material. Get a (free) copy of the RFI handbook from the FCC and read it cover to cover. That's also a good book to have on hand. Also, there's an old out-of-print book you might find at a hamfest. I think the name is the "Radio Amateurs Operating Guide. I think that might help you more than anything else.

3. Find yourself an older ham in your area who's been around the block. Be open to being mentored by them. Look for someone who is about 65 or 70 years old, has an Advanced or Extra class ticket, and has held it for 15 or more years. Be nice to them. Try and spend some time with them, and learn what you can. Watch their operating style. Learn to emulate their on-air behavior.

4. If you sign on the air (or post here) and someone taunts you, it's time to man up and look the other way. Your non-responsiveness to personal jabs will let others know that you're maturing. People are only picking on you here because they know they'll get a smart-aleck reaction from you. It's no different than your response to them on your local repeater. Your responses to insults are not those of a mature 50+ year old man. Don't worry about what other people around you say or do. Worry about what Chuck says and does.

Now I'm serious when I say this, Chuck- look at other amateur radio videos on YouTube of other hams in your age bracket. You don't see them posting videos of themselves playing with action figures, talking like a hick, or flashing a Budweiser while talking on an illegal radio, right? There's a reason for that- they hope to be taken seriously! The behavior you show in your videos is NOT acceptable on amateur radio! Certainly not from someone your age! An 8 month break from acting juvenile doesn't prove much. Chuck, do you want to be taken seriously?

People don't want to hear that "you're going to pick up your granddaughter" in a public forum. Retain comments like that for family and close friends. They're irrelevant to the topic of discussion. Making comments like that makes others think you're seeking sympathy. You won't find much sympathy in public internet forums.

I hope I'm not wasting my breath! Chuck, you now have in your hands a very important piece of paper. A license from the Federal Communications Commission that you worked hard, VERY hard I'm sure, to get. It's not up to others to figure out your simple problems for you. The onus is on you to buy books, to learn, to investigate, to experiment, to become a REAL amateur radio operator that kids and coworkers can look up to. What I've seen you post on here sure doesn't reflect that type of person, and I suspect that's part of your problem- why you're not getting the acceptance you seem to expect. That's something you have to earn, and with your own hard work and a little bit of effort towards maturing, will come in due time.

I'm not going to post to these threads any more. If you want to talk to me, send me an e-mail off of the website. My e-mail address is in my profile. I mean this entire post with nothing but good intentions. Honestly! No insult intended!

73, -AJ4VM
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »

Uh, let's see here, words. More words. Words, words, uuhhhh, words words...
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 12:56:07 PM »

Just kidding, a very good post, Web.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: