Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EasyPal virus?  (Read 2237 times)
KA1MDA

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »

I've been running EasyPal for a while. I recently downloaded and installed Malwarebytes. After scanning my computer with it, it came up with a message stating easypal.exe was infected with spyware.banker. I deleted Easypal and quaranteened/deleted the easypal.exe file. I then downloaded a clean install of Easypal and reran the scan, and Malwarebytes came up with the same message.

I've been running Malwarebytes on 4 different systems for the past year and have never had it trip on a false positive. McAffee and Lavasoft Adaware don't find the spyware.banker infection.

Is this just a false positive from Malwarebytes, or is something up with Easypal? Has anyone else experienced this problem? I enjoyed playing around with Easypal, but now I'm not too sure if it's safe to have it on my system.

Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 06:06:27 AM »

I would guess that it's a false positive.  I just ran a Norton scan of my system and it came up clean, did another scan with AdAware and found a trojan horse.  I don't know why, but not every scanner will pick everything up.  Likewise, every scanner will find something different with each file.

The Malwarebytes website has very limited info. on this malware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/malwarenet.php?name=Spyware.Banker

From what I Googled, EasyPal is Digital SSTV software.  Since I could barely find any information about the "spyware.banker" malware, and EasyPal is used by many hams, I would bet it's a false positive.

At the least, you could send an e-mail to EasyPal's creator and ask him about it.  Sometimes web servers do get infected with virii.

I'd still place a wager on it being a false positive though.
W2JUV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »

Tom (et all), I can confirm the same issue with EasyPal. When I run MalwareBytes, it finds a Trojan Downloader in the Easypal.exe file. If I delete the Trojan, the execute file dissappears and I can't run EasyPal. I emailed KC1CS, whose site I downloaded EasyPal from, he says its a false positive with MalwareBytes, not his website or the software. I downloaded from another site, ran the scan, lo and behold same problem. Maybe it is a false positive, and maybe not. Malwarebytes does have a good reputation. KC1CS says to download EasyPal again with the anti-virus software shut off....doesn't seem like a good idea.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »

A false positive is more likely. The place to send easypal to is the malwarebytes people so they can fix their false positive.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:43 AM »

I've been running Malwarebytes for over a year, and it has found things that all my other security software (McAffee, Adaware, Webroot, Windows Malicious Software Tool, Spybot, etc) have missed. Further research confirmed everything Malwarebytes found was legit. I have enver had a false positive with Malwarebytes either. So I have great faith in this program.

Many anti-virus programs are not very good at finding malware and rootkit-based type programs, as they use different strategies to infect computers than traditional viruses. Both Malwarebytes and Webroot Spysweeper regularly find malware that McAffee and other antivirus programs pass right over.

At this point, I prefer to trust Malwarebytes. Better safe than sorry. Having just installed a new antivirus package, I may try downloading EasyPAL again just for kicks to see if my new software detects anything.

Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:49:13 AM »

>I've been running Malwarebytes for over a year, and it has found things

>I've been running EasyPal for a while. I recently downloaded and installed Malwarebytes

Which is it ? Smiley
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 04:23:34 AM »

>I've been running Malwarebytes for over a year, and it has found things

>I've been running EasyPal for a while. I recently downloaded and installed Malwarebytes

Which is it ? Smiley  

I was running Malwarebytes for over a year on my laptop and desktop computers.. I installed it on my ham computer at a later date when that machine got connected to the router.
W8NSI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »

It is a false positive. I use Sunbelt Software's VIPRE anti-spy/anti-virus and EasyPAL scans CLEAN!

73 de w8nsi/nnn0uzw jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: