Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slashed Zero Font  (Read 15978 times)
K3AN

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2001, 08:33:51 AM »

Does anyone know of a freeware or shareware Windows-compatible font that displays zeros with a slash?  In the old DOS days, both the laptop and the desktop computers that I owned at the time displayed on-screen fonts with a slash through the zero. This made it easy to distinguish zero from the letter "O." That's not the case with Windows-based software. In a callsign like WO0X, you can't readily distinguish the zero. So here's the question. Where can hams (and ham software developers) find a font that displays monospaced characters (every character the same width) with a slash zero? The font should be resizeable over at least the 10 to 14 point range. It should be capable of displaying regular and bold, but not necessarily italic. And it should be printable by any Windows-compatible laser or inkjet printer.  This is probably a tall order. If such a font doesn't currently exist, would anyone in the ham community be willing to step up to the task of creating and distributing it?
KB0CY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2001, 08:04:50 PM »

I think Windows supports what you are looking for. Fire up the Windows accessory "Character Map". Select the "Courier New" font and find the character that is a zero with a slash through it. Click "select" and "copy", then "close". You are now ready to paste the slash|zero wherever you need it.

You can access this directly from MS Word by using the "Insert", "Symbol" feature.

Many of the TrueType fonts have a slash zero in them, not just Courier New.  
VE3IAY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2001, 12:38:37 AM »

On my system, I have a font that has more or less what K3AN was looking for, namely a true zero character that is marked so the "oh" and zero are clearly distinguished. Not only that, but it is monospaced, and it's a TrueType (printable) font. It's called "Andale Mono". The zero has a dot in the middle, not a complete slash. On my system, it will display bold, italic, underlined, and a wide variety of sizes including 9, 10, 11, 12 and 14 point.

I don't know where I got this font. If it wasn't distributed with Windows 98, it might have come with the BV QSL management software. I can't think of any other likely sources on this computer, as it doesn't have any normal office software applications.

A previously suggested solution is to manually insert a completely different character (decimal 216, or hexadecimal D8 in many, but not all, Windows fonts). Unfortunately, for many purposes involving electronic manipulation of data this won't quite do the trick (QSL record-keeping, WPX record-keeping, log searches, ...). A slashed or otherwise marked true zero is a much more portable and versatile solution.

Rich VE3IAY

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2001, 03:52:12 PM »

Yes, while you are typing, say, in this forum, you can do an <ALT>0216 (use the numeric keypad) to get Ø

But that char is NOT a zero and if used in databases, etc., you'll have a bunch of problems.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2001, 07:05:43 PM »

In the heat of a contest, I sure don't want to be typing an Alt-sequence every time a callsign has a zero in it. Furthermore, zeroes should show up with a slash in printouts, without any kind of search-and-replace action on the operator's part.

Slash zero fonts may be more rare than we think. I just got a PVRC newsletter in which they're taking orders for PVRC QSL cards, and none of the four available font choices showed the zero with a slash!
W8UR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2001, 09:02:04 AM »

In Windows, both the standard fixedsys and terminal fonts have a slashed zero, but not all programs will show them as an available selection because they are not scalable.

Some programs, such as WordPad, will let you type the name in the font choice pulldown, even though you won't see the names appear in the selection list.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2001, 03:19:33 PM »

Following my article in the "Correspondence" section  of the April 2000 QST concerning the "slash" zero (it offered the <ALT0216> approach), I received several helpful hints on Ø fonts from other hams.  One fellow sent me a variation of a font called "VAG ROUND" that featured the slash zero.  It is apparently readily available.  However, it's a more casual font.  I use it on my screensaver.  Another sent me three scalable True Type fonts developed by a W9 (whose call, unfortunately, I've misplaced) that also contained slash zeros.  I figured that CQ and QST must have slash zero fonts so I contacted them.  But QST's editor told me that they had to use "half spaces" to put the slash into every zero.  Fortuantely, I do see the slash zero being used more regularly now in ham publications, web sites and QSL labels, which makes me feel better (This has long been a crusade of mine).  If I can find the call sign of the W9 who designed these fonts, I'll add it to this section.  73,  Terry, WØFM
W4JH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2001, 06:29:28 PM »

See the Slashed Zero Font web site:
http://vlp.home.pl/hams/font.htm
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2001, 09:43:46 AM »

K9YY is the creator ot the fonts I had referred to.  Thanks W4JH.  Terry, WØFM
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2001, 05:21:50 PM »

Thanks for that link. I will download one of the true type versions and see how it works. I want this font to be able to be selected in Visual Basic 6.0 Professional for text boxes and labels.  We'll see.

K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2001, 09:18:37 PM »

I downloaded the Glass Gauge (abbreviated GlassGa) true type font and then moved it to the fonts file.  It works!

The zero has a slash. Sizes from 8 to 72 points are available, and you can set bold or italic or both.  I tested it in MS Word and sent the file to the laser printer.  Also, VB 6.0 Pro shows it as a font selection so I will be using it in the ham programs that I develop for my own amusement and learning.

The only thing is that it's not a monospaced font, like Courier, so it's hard to get text columns to line up without setting and using tabs. But that's a minor issue.  Also, the capital "Y" is kinda funky. You might want to consider using this font for your logging program to print out QSL labels.

Thanks to all who posted.

Bill
KB8WSG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2002, 06:45:18 PM »

try this web site http://nova.bsuvc.bsu.edu/prn/monofont/fixsys.html

The other font, which I use for all my Amateur Radio and MARS work is called "TERMINAL" it looks like the old teleprinters and the "zero" is always slashed.
KB8WSG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2002, 07:17:37 PM »

Check this web site also for slash Zero Ham fonts that are downloadable.
http://www.qsl.net/wa6axe/fonts.html
N9KH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 02:49:21 PM »

For those of you trying to find someplace with slashed zero fonts try this <http://www.fonts101.com>   I looked through over 2,000 fonts, not nearly all of them, and found several slashed zero fonts.

Ccheck out the following fonts;

The Dumbledor series
The Street series
The Labtop series
Snotmaster V
Futurex Voyager
Square Shooter Mono
Break
VAG Rounded
Technoid
Technically Insane series

Not all of these fonts are true "slashed zero" fonts, some have an asterik in the middle of the zero.  All are distinguishable from the "oh".  There are probable more "slashed zero" fonts but I got tired of looking.

BTW, this is a free fonts site.  I have no interest in this website.

73 de N9KH

K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 05:43:26 PM »

Wow! After almost five years, this thread is still alive! Who else has good info on slashed zero (preferably monospaced) fonts?

Bill
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: