Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: electric fence slows down my connection speed  (Read 415 times)
KG4YRY

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2006, 11:34:53 AM »

I have livestock and use an electric fence when the fence is on it slows my connection speed down as low as 9 kbps, when it is off I always connect no slower than 42.6 kbps and sometimes connect at 44 kbps. I use a US Robotics modem and was told by my ISP tech support that they are known to have problems with electric fences. Does anyone know of a cure for this problem?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 09:56:48 AM »

Don't use the electric fence.  What you have is a lovely spark gap transmitter with a huge antenna system.

Dennis KG4RUL
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 01:38:26 PM »

I told my doctor, "It hurts when I do this!" to which he replied...
W8CAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 03:01:45 PM »

Some suggestions:
Older fence chargers are notorious for causing arcing. I would take a small transistor AM radio (not FM) and walk the fence at night looking for arcs and peaks in noise. The fence can arc to shrubs, bad connections, fence posts, debris on the fence ,etc. The arcing mya not be visible but you should hear a peak on the radio. Fix any bad connections you find. If you find the fence is in good condx I would replace the fence charger with a newer unit.

You could try some RFI cores on the phone line into the modem. This may help but most phone cable is pretty balanced and rejects this type of interference well.
As a simple test you could just wind up any excess phone cord and see if that helps (doubtful)
Good luck!
Dan W8CAR
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 02:40:48 PM »

The simplest thing might be to try a different modem, maybe another one is more resistant to RFI if the modem is the problem.
 OTOH maybe the fence is putting noise into the phone line and that's the issue. Do you hear any different in phone quality when the fence is on/off?
 Sounds like you have to do an RFI hunt, either way, unless you have any other options for an internet connection. Eliminating RFI and ground arcs from the fence just might fix it, if you can accomplish that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: