The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No lids, kids, or space cadets!!!  (Read 33413 times)
KD7AWG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »

As I recall hearing it from my father iit was:

CQ, CQ, No lids, no kids, no WA2's, no VE1's.
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 09:58:25 AM »

"his antics pale in comparison to the sick crap that goes on all over the 75 meter band 7 nights a week these days."

HAH....75m huh?

I found the conversation 2 nights ago about .380s being for "f----ts" quite interesting, as I did the gentleman who seemed to think he could take 5 or 6 rounds of .45 ACP ammunition and still keeping coming at the assailant enough to "get his hands around the guys neck".  

I promise I wasn't thinking silently to myself "No, you'll probably run the other direction while both screaming and bleeding...just like 99% of the population would do when shot a half dozen times"

75m at night. Yeah.

I have noticed a net on 3902 thats actually fun to listen to on 75m, so at least theres that!
W3PYF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 05:27:02 AM »

As someone who actually recalls speaking to Mike W2OY, I can confirm he was just one of many curmudgeons who inhabited 75 phone in those days, mostly on 3850MHz. What is not appreciated by younger hams is the amount of loneliness and alcoholism that afflicted many of the "greatest generatio" who came back after WW2 to a changing America.

Think how many in 2016 can not accept the idea of an African American president, today a woman president...gay marriage...transgender bathrooms...and the idea that America is down in the thirty-something place in high school academics and not in the top ten in infant survival. As the Internet allows those struggling with modern changes to find union with fellow sufferers, 75 meter phone served that function for our "greatest generation" hams until alcoholism, Alzheimer's, cancer and heart disease began thinning their ranks in the sixties, seventies and eighties. I remember my dad's friends who passed through those phases on the way to the grave...one in particular whose beloved wife of many decades was failing to Alzheimer's disease, and his only escape was 75 meters and scotch. The 3850 crowd moved up to 3999...and then to the cemetery.

They were - as many on Facebook today - quite lonely people who had a hard time facing change. Even today, we see people who, like W2OY, struggle with change, and cling to the idea that somehow, the present could be rolled back to the time they thought America was "great" because it was familiar. Mike, W2OY and his cohorts. And so, please cut them slack. They're struggling.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 06:40:56 AM »

There are and seems always will be those "crusty curmudgeons"  or grumpy old ba$tards as I call them.
Not only did people like this denigrate me for being a no code extra, but did nothing to help me to  learn CW. So  what's their  point?
People like this are a waste of time. Who cares what they think?

BTW, who would answer a CQ like that anyway, other than a fellow curmudgeon? He sound like he's looking for an argument before the QSO starts!

Those guys on 80 meters are not "new hams" but apparently the CW requirement did nothing to make them better people or operators.

As long as you are operating within your license and not causing interference, enjoy!  Grin

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »

When I ran across this "W2OY" thing, I read each post plus the link to the "tribute to W2OY."  On this last thing, I've never read such BS in years!

I agree with AC.....the man was a fruitcake.  I was a fairly new ham during the OY days and I still feel the acid in my stomach whenever I see his callsign in print.  I heard Mike on day after day and I've often wondered how many potential hams he discouraged.

At the time I was running a Knightkit that I had built.  It was all I could afford.  It used screen modulation.  I also had my "K" callsign at the time.  I will never forget the loud booming signals, "I don't wanna talk to any kids, lids or K8s.  Space cadets don't bother calling.  (In reference to the use of phonetics, I assume)

Anyhow after raging on for several months I started to call Mike every time I heard him on just to piss him off like he was me.  Then one day he did answer me.  I don't know if he was on his meds that day or hoping I would go away but he talked to me.  I've often reflected and concluded that the only reason he did talk to me was because nobody else would talk to him.

It was my understanding at the time that he was running an old military BC-610 and a pizza sheet of a receiver.  However, that might be just a rumor that I picked up.

At any rate, I concluded in the 50s and still do to this day, W2OY was an egotistical bastard that should never have been a ham.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 10:08:09 AM »

Even today, we see people who, like W2OY, struggle with change, and cling to the idea that somehow, the present could be rolled back to the time they thought America was "great" because it was familiar.

Kudos for a thoughtful and beautifully written post...  It's a welcome break from the " Twitterization " of web conversation.

PBS recently ran an American Masters episode dealing with the career of Norman Lear   http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/norman-lear-about-the-film/7402/   and your post echoed the subjects covered.  Lear had a string of popular TV series on CBS in the early 70's dealing with social issues and one comment gave me an Ahhh Haaa! moment:  Archie Bunker was not so much a bigot / misogynist / war monger as he was a man struggling with aging, social change and a loss of status.  Post WW II returning vets were the greatest among us as they'd saved the world from oppression... 30-ish years later they'd become older, less robust and living in a world of diminished expectations.  Compound that with numerous rights movements, an unpopular war in the 50's, another in the 60's with news cycles shortened by electronic media and it's no wonder some found it difficult to maintain relevance.  Then there was the day when Edith refused to stifle.

In one sense I'd be surprised if the insomniacs on 75 Meter 'fone didn't reflect their insecurity with aging as they have in the past and will continue to do in the future.  Different voices, different issues, same conversation............

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 12:24:28 PM »

"She is more to be pitied than censured
She is more to be helped than despised
She is only a lassie who ventured
On life's stormy path ill advised
Do not scorn her with words fierce and bitter
Do not laugh at her shame and downfall
For a moment stop and consider
That a man was the cause of it all."

1894 song by William B. Gray
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »

STRANGE !
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:20:04 PM by SWMAN » Logged
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »

Every generation has some... there's always that one percent!
Please judge the hobby by its majority and not the few fringe grumps in the world.
73s.

-Mike.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: