Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No lids, kids, or space cadets!!!  (Read 8270 times)
K9FON

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »

How did this goofy term come about? I heard a guy on the radio the other night making fun of a new no coder and he told the poor guy this!
N8GNI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 04:45:51 PM »

Attributed to the late
Mike Primus W2OY - From what I've heard, he was a nice guy and this was just one of his ways of joking.

W2OY is calling CQ
 No lids, no kids, no space cadets, no phonetic   fanatics
 No school bus riders please
 Class A Operators, S9 signals only need apply
 To W2OY
VK4TJF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:00:27 PM »

CQ CQ CQ - No Lids, No Kids, No Space Cadets -- "Attributed to the late W2OY, Mike, back in the late 40's on 75 meters when it was a Class "A" only band.
Mike was known around the northeast for this everytime he called CQ."
From Bob Wilder, W4RHW

SPACE CADETS - VERSION 2
If you didn't hear W2OY, you missed a one-of-a-kind. Actually, he said, "CQ CQ CQ. No kids, no lids, no school bus riders or space cadets. No kings, no queens, no jacks. This is the NO PHONETICS station, W2OY." I heard that hams in his town got so worked up over his antics, that somebody sneaked into his yard one night and drove a pin through his coax, but I have no way of knowing whether this story is true. -- From Bill, NG3O
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »

Also was the name inspiration for a comic book - see www.dashtoons.com for more info and some free stuff. K1NSS is the best modern ham cartoonist.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »

"...new no coder..."
?
Like "Always remember; and Never Forget!"

Bob
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:10:46 PM »

W2OY was before my time, but I sure heard a lot about him from other hams.

I think you can hear a recording of him here:
http://hamgallery.com/dx1970/

Do a Google search for his callsign. It's an education.

73 Mike

K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 09:03:37 AM »

W2OY wasn't joking with his behavior.  The first day I turned on my first receiver prior to getting my novice license, he was heard doing his infamous CQ routine.  This went on day after day, year after year.  I'm sure that he soured more than one young person on the hobby.  I'd say he was a genuine psychopath who deserves to be forgotten. 
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »

No, he wasn't a psychopath. He was just a classic curmudgeon.

To understand him, you need to know a bit of history, and what his harangue was actually about.

Before 1951, the US license structure was only three clases (ABC) and two levels (Class A and everybody else). The use of 'phone between 2.5 and 25 MHz was restricted to Class A hams only. Having a Class A back then was a big deal.

In those post-WW2 days AM was *the* phone mode in amateur radio. A few hams were using SSB and NBFM, but the top of the ziggurat belonged to those running full-yellow plate-modulated AM.

A high-power AM transmitter was a big investment, and usually homebrew. In fact the only legal-limit AM transmitters made for the amateur market were the Collins KW-1 and the Johnson Desk Kilowatt (which didn't appear until the late 1950s). The Desk Kilowatt was $1700 (plus shipping and the desk), and the KW-1 was "if you have to ask you can't afford it")

In those days a 1x2 call really meant something; there was no vanity program as we know it today, and each callsign district had only 676 possible 1x2 calls, most of them held by true oldtimers or clubs. A call like W2OY was the mark of somebody who'd been there and done that many times over.

That's how it was about 60 years ago. Then all heck broke loose.  

In 1951 the FCC added license classes and renamed the existing ones. This brought in lots of new hams, particularly young ones, through the Novice license, and some VHF/UHF folks through the Technician. Thus the "no kids" and "no space cadets", and his use of the old Class A designation long past its time.

Worse, in 1953 the FCC allowed all hams except Novices and Techs to have full privileges. This flooded the HF 'phone bands with newcomers who hadn't passed the Class A exams - hence the "no lids".

To top it off, many of the newcomers were using modes like SSB and NBFM, or modulation methods such as screen or grid modulation. Plus they insisted on the use of phonetics and other assaults on Mike's ears.

In just a few years, ol' Mike had gone from the lofty heights at the top of the pile to being just another voice on a crowded band. Many newcomers did not even know things had ever been different.

One thing is for sure: W2OY had a whopper of a signal; not just loud but clean and high quality.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W6VPS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 12:14:18 PM »

N2EY posted - "Many newcomers did not even know things had ever been different."

As true today as it was then. Not taking any shots at anyone...just making an observation.
Paul/W6VPS
KD3LT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »

I seem to remember "No kids, no lids, no Donald Duck!" as well.

My Novice test was administered by W30Y, who seemed to me a kind and gentle soul whose doom it was to be perennially mistaken for W2OY.
KD3LT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:00:01 PM »

Oops. W3OY, not W30Y.
K8SOR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 08:40:01 AM »

I got my novice in 1960, upgraded in '61. I heard 'ole yellar' on  one evening calling cq cq cq, no lids no kids no junior space cadets. I called him, had a short chat. Then I told him I had to get off the radio as I had to get some study time in for a test tomorrow, that I was a Junior in High School.  He didn't comment, just said "73, and good luck on the test"
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »

No lids No kids No space cadets No phonetic phonatics only class A operators need apply

The guy died a true ham's death, had a heart attack up on the top of his tower fixing his antenna  

73  W9OY
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »

There were hams like W2OY even when you had to demonstrate proficiency in Morse receiving AND sending.

I see that a club has taken the W2OY callsign in the vanity program. I hope they didn't do it to honor the jacka- err, curmudgeon.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »

I remember working Mike a few times on 75 meter AM phone with my trusty DX-100 and D-104 as a young teenager back in the 50's.  He certainly didn't scare me and he gave no indication that I bothered him.  I think he was just a crusty old curmudgeon who didn't worry much about what people thought about him.  He had a fantastic signal from Lancaster, NY (I think that was his QTH.)  The only other AM signal that I remember being as good as Mike's was from W8RHZ (Harry) in Twinsburg, Ohio.  As I recall Mike's transmitter was a classic BC-610 from WWII.

Mike generated a lot of controversy back in the 50's but his antics pale in comparison to the sick crap that goes on all over the 75 meter band 7 nights a week these days.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: