Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '04 Hyundai Tiburon install question  (Read 467 times)
KI6AOK

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:27:56 AM »

I'm considering installing a 2m/70cm radio in my '04 Hyundai Tiburon, but after reading about all the potential complications with electrical systems, air bags, etc., I'm terrified to do it! Can anyone offer any reassurance?

I have used a 5w handheld in the car with no problems, but 50w is a whole other ball game...

Thanks!
Laura
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:17:31 PM »

You've been reading the wrong data, or listening to anecdotal references.

Hyundai, and every other auto maker has specific guide lines about installing radio gear in their vehicles. Not one of them says you can't, and not one of them say anything about warranty cancellation. That fact doesn't stop some dealer personnel from giving you a ration about doing so.

If you want to know how to do it, and do it right, visit my web site. Read the VHF Options article.

http://www.k0bg.com

KI6AOK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:14:53 AM »

I appreciate your feedback. Your web site is excellent and I've gotten a lot of good information there. I'm not so much concerned about warranty issues, as I am about fouling up the electrical system. I assume from your comments that my fears are groundless?
KI6AOK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:20:05 PM »

So, answering my own question: yes, my fears were groundless. I had an FT-7900 installed by a radio tech that does public safety vehicle installs. He did a terrific job and there have been no RFI or other electrical problems. For anyone contemplating an install who just doesn't have the confidence to go it alone (like me) find a pro to do it. A phone call to your local ham radio store or police/fire department should turn up someone who would be willing to do a weekend job for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: