Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu MD 100A8X -vs- Heil GM-5  (Read 4865 times)
W7TRD

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »

I'm currently running a Yaesu FT897D with the stock hand mic, and would like to upgrade to a desktop model. How does the Yaesu MD 100A8X Desktop Microphone compare with the Heil GM-5. Of course with the Heil, I would need to purchase the stand & cable as well.
Any input would be much appreciated!
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 01:22:22 PM »

If you are a DX or contest operator the GM5 will be fine.  It will sound "pinched" and tailored toward the high frequencies.  The HC5 element is their DX element suited for those running narrow transmit bandwidth and heavy speech processing.  For general amateur SSB use, forget it.  You will have everyone telling you you sound restricted and tilted toward the high end with no lows whatever.  

On the other hand the MD100A8X which I have used on my FT-2000D is a multi-function good dynamic microphone.  
If you want to cut the lows, there is a switch on the bottom to do so.  If you want to boost the highs there is a two level boost switch for that too.  Otherwise you can use the microphone with its stock response.  
Good clean high-quality dynamic microphone.  It should match well with your Yaesu radio.

My opinion,

Greg
W7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:33:15 AM »

Just an FYI, I think you have it backwards... I believe the HC-4 the narrow band DX element, and the HC-5 is the broadband "ragchew" element.

For my FT-2000 I use the HC-4 element for contests, and the HC-5 for general QSOs (both when using headphones), then the Yaesu MD-100A8X for general use. Yaesu mic works quite well, but watch out for the locking PTT button. It is very easy to accidentally push it on and wonder why your radio is locked on tx.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:59:19 AM »

I'm currently running a Yaesu FT897D with the stock hand mic, and would like to upgrade to a desktop model. How does the Yaesu MD 100A8X Desktop Microphone compare with the Heil GM-5. Of course with the Heil, I would need to purchase the stand & cable as well.
Any input would be much appreciated!

Believe it or not, the second best situation really is the hand mike.The problem with many desk mike installations is operators not getting close to the mike when speaking. When the modulation level drops they crank up the mike gain and pick up all the noises in the shack. One should ideally close-talk the mike - about 2" from mouth to mike.

Personally, I prefer the Heil ProSet headset and a foot switch and consider this the best solution.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: