Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to ground exhaust?  (Read 1469 times)
K3GHH

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2010, 02:45:34 PM »

How does one connect braid to the exhaust pipe and muffler? I presume the frame connection is with a bolt or screw after scraping paint off.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »

I used hose clamps on the exhaust pipe and look for a nearby bolt in the frame to connect it to.  I also use copper ribbon stock as braid takes a licking up here in salt country.  I cut a slit across the the stock that will allow the width of a hose clamp to pass thru it, wrap the stock around the pipe, feed the hose clamp thru the slit and around it and the pipe, and tighten.  If you haven't done so already, don't forget the doors, hood, and trunk lid or rear hatch.  I jumpered the hinge in two places for each.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:44:29 AM by Tom Hybiske » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »

To save wasted effort you will want to check for ignition noise as you add grounding straps. Stop adding them when the noise reaches a low enough level.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »

hi John,

take a look at K0BG site

http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html

73 james
AC2RC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:59:02 AM »

Rather than connect directly to the exhaust pipe and all the heating and cooling [expansion and contraction and oxidation] I used small hose clamps on the rods [1/2" dia] that connect exhaust to hanger.Make sure you scrape metal clean and use anti-oxidant goop.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:14:06 AM »

If you use stainless steel hose clamps, you don't have to worry about expansion. Just use a star washer under the lug that's under the clamp, to assure a good connection. Leave a little slack in the ground strap as the exhaust system does move around.

K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 04:41:56 AM »

I also attached to the support rods as AC2RC did except I tac-welded the braid instead of using a clamp, and tac-welded the other end to the frame.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: