Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using sound card softwware with USB?  (Read 474 times)
W6DPS

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:07:20 AM »

Since it is almost impossible to find a current notebook with "legacy" serial, I have been using an adapter (USB to RS-232) for my toys (GPS, Telescope, TNC, etc.).

The one thing that I haven't gotten to work is keying a transmitter when using sound card software for digital modes.

Anyone found a solution for this?

Thanks!

Dave
W6DPS
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 10:29:28 AM »

If you are feeding the tones in through the mic connector, simply turn the vox on and adjust it.

If you are feeding the tones in through a special digital connector, there may be the equivalent of a PTT that can be activated when you want to transmit.

On my TS-2000, I'm running a USB to RS232 converter for radio control and the software that I use allows me to tell it to key the transmitter via a code sent to the rig control port on the radio.  So that's how I have mine configured.

There's often multiple options and it may depend on what you have for radio, interface, software etc.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:30:09 PM »

hi dave,

I use the signalink sl+

http://www.tigertronics.com/

is has builtin vox, needs no serial or usb ports
and is powered by the radio.

73 james
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 11:01:42 PM »

For radio's that can't be switched between RX and TX via CAT command, you build a one-transistor interface between RTS or DTR signals generated by the USB interface and connect the output to your radio's PTT input. Most soundcard software supports keying via a serial port modem control signal. Some let you use a modem control signal in the serial port being used for transceiver control.

Dave, AA6YQ
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 06:28:25 AM »

My homebrew software uses the DTR lead for keying and the RTS lead for T/R switching. Is anyone successfully using a USB-to-serial converter for that type of keying and control? If so, what's the brand and model, and also what version of Windows are you using? Thanks.
N9PCS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:45:21 AM »

Two other options (neither of which are cheap) are the RigExpert www.rigexpert.com OR either of the two choices from MicroHam www.microham.com (USB Interface II or MicroKeyer).

Personally I have not had any real trouble getting the USB to RS-232 adapters to work, but I realize that is not everyones experience.
N9PCS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 11:36:36 AM »

MicroHam apparently has another new product in the works. It seems to be a direct competitor to the RigExpert. According to this web page, it should be available at Dayton.

http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/dk.html
WB2LCW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:40:16 AM »

You can buy a USB to serial rs232 adapter for as little as $10 to interface to your PTT..
You can use a diode a resistor and a 4n35 opto-coupler to interface the RS-232 adapter to your
rig with DC and RF isolation..Look on the web for
"opto isolated rtty interfaces" you will find many examples..
mike
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 06:21:38 AM »

I already use an opto on the DTR and RTS leads of a "real" serial port. I'm asking which USB-to-serial adapters support real-time control of these leads, and are recognized by VB6 applications. The adapter must be capable of correctly maintaining the on/off timing intervals that are generated by the CW subroutine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: