Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160M AM operating  (Read 788 times)
VE3ELL

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2010, 05:56:22 PM »

I would like to know more about operating AM on 160M band.Are there nightly nets operating 160M AM ? I use a Yaesu FT1000MP MKV Field with a 43ft vertical antenna.I will be only operating QRP at 25W max.Please feel free to comment.

THX Russ   VE3ELL
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:21:01 AM »

This was posted here last year:

The Greater Cincinnati Amateur Radio Association's weekly net on 1936 kHz at 9 PM every Thursday will be hosting it's annual AM Night on Thursday December 17th.   Not an AM net, per se, but likely to have some folks who know about AM nets.

These appear in lists. I have no idea if they're all active.

1.888     Early Morning 160 Meter Net     Daily  5:00 AM     ET     East Coast     
1.888    Early Morning 160 Meter Net    Daily    5:00 AM    ET    Midwest    
1.925    Central California 160 Meter Net    Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday  9:00 PM PT    
1.945    The Gray Hair Net    Tuesday    8:30 PM    ET    Northeast
VE3ELL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:44:04 PM »

Thanks for the info,I have heard a few AM stations on 80 & 40M here.I do not use an amp so I will be barefoot with only 25W on AM.I am on the air at about 430am each weekday before I head off to work.Perhaos I will try 1.888 Mhz before the summer storms make it impossible.

73 Russ  VE3ELL
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »

If you have the room, low-noise receive antennas are very helpful. The ultimate is probably a Beverage, if you have something over a wavelength of room to play with and can lay it out in a useful direction. The shorter Beverages aren't so sharp that you miss all but stations dead on your heading. DX Engineering sells a single wire and double wire transformer and termination kit. Next choice for some is a small loop. And of course, you're hoping someone on the other end has another low-noise receive antenna. A "snake" or "grass" receive antenna is a cheap and dirty thing you can try, too.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »

Just be forewarned, that there are some AM guys that refuse to talk to another ham thats using a "ricebox rig".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: