Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norton antivirus AND Spybot - Are both necessary?  (Read 2133 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »

Im trying to return the speed to my computer (to the way it was when I first got it). I have plenty of memory and processor speed.

I am wondering if I should uninstall Spybot (anti- spyware software) since Im already running Norton Antivirus). Does Norton AV do all the things Spybot does?
Ive heard Spybot will slow down a computer.

Thanks in advance, Ken
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »

Spybot SD detects a class of intruders not detected by Norton AV. While I have seen Norton AV interfere with the operation of some applications, I have never seen Spot SD do that.

Another alternative is Microsoft's malicious software detection and removal tool; its free, and available from Microsoft's web site.

Dave, AA6YQ
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 04:05:52 PM »

hi ken,

anything you run will 'slow' down the pc,
depending on what the software is designed to do
and how much resources it requires.

I think norton and spybot are good to use,
if you want to turn off spybot, try using
adaware SE Personal edition from Lavasoft,
it runs only when you use it to check/scan for
spyware.

I'm not sure which o/s version you are using,
one thing to check is the indexing function
that it turned on when the windows o/s is installed.

This can slow down the system because it keeps running
all the time.  to check this feature and to disable it
if you want to see if it improves the system:

my computer
c: drive then right click on properties
Bottom of this panel will have a check box
next to   "allow indexing service to index this drive..."

uncheck the box and answer YES to the sub directory
question that will pop up.

It may take a short time for this to finish.

You may want to run checkdisk and also defragment functions.

73 james
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 01:45:39 AM »

James,
I run Windows 98. Processor is a 450 Mhz celeron with 356 MB of Ram. I have little interest in upgrading my hardware or overall system at this time. I do not do gaming or other "taxing" activities. I mostly just surf the web.

When I say "slowdown" I am refering to webpage transition. I clocked my line speed (cable) at 3 - 4 MB (good). I believe some of my webpage transition slowdown may be due to installing a Router a couple of years ago. I noticed in the beginning, when surfing "naked" (without the benefit of router firewall) webpages changed "likety split". I tried clicking on C drive properties and could not locate that indexing function you are refering to. I would like to try disabling it. Is it offered on W98?

Ken  
KC9EOT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 05:33:47 AM »

I have had problems with Norton, I use AVG7 for viruys protectiosn and windows anti spyware. I also use spybot but I don't let it auto run, I just use it about once a week to verify I am still clean. You should also be using a firewall. I have used Norton, again with problems, and many others. I settled on zonealarm. You can get a free version on line but I recommend the pro version which cost a little but has much more powerful options. I also use a cookie blocker from analog-x.com. all together I have not had a virus, or spyware in several years and I only have the cookies I want in my computer. It runs at a very nice speed. One other thing is learn about your "host file" located in windows\system32\drivers\etc. This is a real nice way of preventing anything from getting out if its gets in. Read about it, you'll see what I am talking about, its great.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 02:15:14 PM »

hi ken,

ok good system,
I also just surf and visit eham a lot.

when it is time to upgrade you will enjoy
the newer o/s versions, better memory management
and crash protection (still but not as often!)

I think the index service was called
Fastfind in win 95/98 versions.
you should see this in control panel.

you may want to clear your browser cache
and then increase the size of it,
that can help with the webpages.

here is link with good info on security
and the host file
http://bshagnasty.home.att.net/browsersettings.htm

73 james
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 02:12:10 PM »

I use AVG. I have used Norton in the past. I did not like it. It seemed to slow down the computer and once installed it would not let me remove all the folders. (Symantec, If I removed it is would always stop during bootup and ask for it) AVG is also free. Don WD8PTB
KF4QVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 07:35:45 PM »

Ken:

There are a lot of very good programs out there yet there seems to be some differences in how the software code is written.  I help manage a 40-computer network for a local non-profit.  We have everything from Pentium 2's to Pentium 4's (fully loaded with RAM and the latest processors).

We have noticed that ALL of them slow down significantly when Norton AV is used and no other changes are made.

In October, we abondon Norton site-wide because of all of the complaints.

Regards,
Glenn
KF4QVD
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 10:43:30 AM »

"Ive heard Spybot will slow down a computer."

Alot depends on how much memory you consider to be plenty - I'm using 1.5 gigs of ram, with no virtual ram on the hard drive at all.  I've used up to a third of that, running all kinds of stuff at once.

Norton will slow you down much more than Spybot would ever hope to.  Still, Norton is good for viruses, so I use it anyway.

Lot's of things will slow your computer down.  Be sure to defrag the hard drive, at least every couple of months.  A fragmented hard drive will SERIOUSLY slow you down.  Remove any programs you don't use.  That will help, too.

I also use a program called TuneUp Utilities.  It will go through and make sure your computer is optomized for what you use it for, and it will also fix any registry problems you have.  Again, that can really slow your computer down, too.

I don't keep a spyware program loaded all the time.  I run one every month or so, but I don't install much, either.
AB9LZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 04:00:22 AM »

Yes you need both, and as others have pointed out, norton is the performance culprit.

If you don't have any rig control software on that machine and you'd like to make that thing run lickety split again with no  worries about all of the bad stuff that the internet will throw at it.
Try installing Suse Linux, comes with a ton of pretty good free software. Plus, there are several decent loggers and sound card (psk31 etc.) apps out there.

73 / mark
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 08:59:51 AM »

I believe your 450MHz Celeron with only 350MB RAM is getting perilously close to the lower limit for the hardware required to operate safely now-a-days.  Also,  since your Windows 98 OS has not been supported with security updates in quite some time, you really do need to run an anti-virus and a spyware/malware detector program.   In fact, if you're using a broadband connection, you ought to be running a firewall program, too, such as ZoneAlarm.

All of these eat up resources and your computer is pretty limited to be handling all of these programs. Short of updating the computer, I really don't see you getting much speed out of it without sacrificing security.  Adding RAM would probably be your best and cheapest bet.  I'd recommend at least doubling it.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: