Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new to yaesu 101 ee  (Read 401 times)
CAPTBKW

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2010, 01:16:38 PM »

Hi everone I just bought a Yaesu from a friend mint been in unopen box for 5 years , I am studying for my ham radio license so I picked it up cheap question picked up a multiban vert. ant and tried it picks up fair puts out about 90 watts probaly need to tweak it. should i get a linier found a fl 2100 b for a good price don,t really want to pass it up unless i don,t need it how far should i be able to transmit without it ,verses with it ,what would be a good ant. tuner or don,t need one thanks
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:04 PM »

What bands and modes are you interested in? Using anything now?
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 01:41:16 PM »

Brian
When you say unopened do you mean never used?
It should put out 100w easily into a dummy load on cw.
What you see on SSB will depend on the meter you are using.
Please do not transmit into an antenna until you get your license.
Glen
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »

"Unopened box for 5 years?"

If it was really unopened (as in "new stuff inside") it would have been in there for about 35 years, because that's how old the rig is.

You shouldn't be transmitting without a license.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 06:19:07 PM »

"puts out about 90 watts probaly need to tweak it"

You won't have to tweak it unless you bought it from a CBer.  Then, you will have to install 10 meter crystals, and adjust one or more coils back to 10 meters.  There are many strange Mythologies in CB land.  One of them is there is an advantage to "tweaking" rigs past their linear range.  Your rig should comfortably put out 90-100 watts.  Trying to go past that only serves to decrease tube life, and makes garbage to you fellow hams operating near you.

"how far should i be able to transmit without it ,verses with it."

If you are used to CB, you are probably thinking of "line of sight" communication.  Many hams use HF for non-line of sight, bouncing signal off the ionosphere, talking through out the USA, Canada, S America, Africa, Australia, Europe Asia, South Pole etc.  The extra wattage will make your signal louder, and thus easier to copy under noise and signal fade.

Best of luck getting your General where you can really enjoy the old rig.

My first rig was an new FT101EX that I ordered from Burghardt radio.  I used my CB antennas on 10 meters, and strung up a multiband inverted Vee for 80, 40 and 15.

I got my first ticket along with some fellow CBers.  We'd get on 10 meters and pound away with our straight keys.  It didn't matter how bad our fists were to start, since we all were doing the same thing, trying to get better at copying and sending.

If you run into questions you don't understand, many hams in the Elmer section are willing and able to help you.

Best from tucson AZ
Bob
CAPTBKW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 06:21:46 PM »

am not transmiting just testing it to see if it worked waiting to get my license, yes it was new in box still had orgional bags of stuff, going to find a licensed ham operator to test it futher. with my vert. ant. I got suppose to pick up 10-80 meters was just wondering if 100 watts was enough power or should i pick up the linear it is a fl 2100 b
CAPTBKW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »

am not transmiting just testing it to see if it worked waiting to get my license, yes it was new in box still had orgional bags of stuff, going to find a licensed ham operator to test it futher. with my vert. ant. I got suppose to pick up 10-80 meters was just wondering if 100 watts was enough power or should i pick up the linear it is a fl 2100 b
CAPTBKW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 06:22:43 PM »

CAPTBKW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »

sorry about that my key stuck
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 06:40:05 PM »

I hope for your sake that the 101 wasn't owned and operated by a CB op that didn't know what he was doing with the rig. If so, it will need some work like a new driver, finals, and a good tune up by a competent technician and -NOT- some hack CB screwdriver jockey in a crappy truck stop. Good luck on getting yout ham ticket!
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »

hi Brian,

sounds like you got a nice radio.

Not sure why others are jumping to conclusions about the condition
of your radio.  how many of us buy gear and it gets put aside and
we never get the chance to use some of it?

take a look at the band plan

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/Hambands_color.pdf/

best bet is to have somebody local to you spend some time
with you to check out the radio and show you how to tune it up.

you will learn a lot about how your radio works and using it
will become second nature.

73 james

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: