The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resonant antenna vs using an antenna tuner?  (Read 2530 times)
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »

Hi, read the other posts for the theory.  But thge bottom line is:

No antenna tuner known to man is going to make a useful antenna for 80 meters out of a 56 inch whip on a mobile setup.

Now, you don't have to pay for an expensive "Screwdriver" either.  Check out the QRZ page for N1LO and take a look at his "Dragonfly" antenna.  It's home made and works very well.  I use a similar antenna and am very pleased with it's performance.

...bc   nr4c
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 09:05:17 AM »

Owen, correct, that wasn't what I meant to say....

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »

Actually the Hustler mobile system is pretty good. I have mine mounted atop the roof and centered, of that ole red taurus wagon with the big high power capable loading coils. the system is stable meaning the performance per band(40-10) is reasonably equal. The coil location is at almost the top mounted to the MO-1 radiaing mast with some more whip above the coil. I beleive the offset like Tom mentioned is a choice of convenince vs performance an old issue indeed. I opted for Hustler system. I am curious to a perpormance comparison vs the screwdriver. I am able to compare a full size quarter wave whip in exactly the same mount and will do so soon via non skywave to a ham 10 miles out. The band is 10 meter of course. The 1/4 wave whip has been used and has been tuned the Hustler mobile antenna will be tuned so the test is as close as possible for accuracy....I do not expect much difference but we will take a look anyway cuz I can. fun to me.
KB1SNJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 12:48:59 PM »

I just want to say thanks for all the replies guys. I dont understand antenna basics (YET) but it looks like the Tarheel I bought would outperform a "whip with a tuner" on a mobile application.  In fact, from the info here as well as the eHam reviews I read before buying, it seems like it would equal or outperform anything else you can put on a car.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »

.  In fact, from the info here as well as the eHam reviews I read before buying, it seems like it would equal or outperform anything else you can put on a car.

I'd wager that some of the guys who responded could modify a commercial screwdriver antenna to kick your antenna's butt, but that's also something that you can do in the future.  The performance of a mobile antenna has a whole lot to do with how you mount it and how well your vehicle works as a counterpoise, and things like that.

Generally speaking, the screwdriver concept with adjustable, high Q loading coil is a good one.  However, the total system performance of very short antenna system can often benefit significantly from a serious attention to detail applied by someone who has a really good understanding of antenna theory.

So the statement "a screwdriver is the best antenna  you can put on a car" is probably usually true, but there still can be a large variation in performance among installations.   Even if you had a lower performing screwdriver installation in terms of signal strength, it's probably the case that the convenience of continuous tuning with better performance than an autotuner setup is sufficient to recommend the screwdriver.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: