Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-contained QRP digital mode rig?  (Read 5502 times)
W6RQ

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »

Hi all,

I'm looking for a fully self-contained, small, QRP, inexpensive digital mode rig, capable of operating on multiple bands, and multiple modes (including PSK and RTTY). When I say self-contained, I mean an all-in-one unit, including transceiver, native support for digital modes (no need for external interface), and battery. All that is needed to add would be a laptop and antenna. Does such a rig exist? I'd prefer a commercially available product, all assembled (no kits). Thanks in advance.

73, Curt W6RQ
W6RQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:34:22 PM »

And if no laptop required, all the better!!
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »

Its about time somebody designed and made one !

Mel G0GQK
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:49:44 PM »

Ten Tec used to make one with a built-in sound card interface.
K6KUB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:36:08 PM »

What you're looking for is at : www.nue-psk.com
73, Fred
k6kub
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »

The neu-psk unit does not include a radio. Its a replacement for the computer and sound card.

http://www.nue-psk.com/
KE5IUN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 04:14:06 PM »

I don't know about RTTY but you can do PSK31 on the Elecraft K3 using a code key/paddle without a computer. I have made several QSO's with ops using them.
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 03:19:35 AM »

I use an IC-703 with a NUE-PSK and love it. Interconnection is minimal, quick, and easy. Set up is one time and very easy. Has a few macros and all the functions I need --- does both RTTY and PSK-31 well. The rig, box, and a mini keyboard all fit on the small dinette table in the camper with room to spare -- doesn't even upset the XYL. NUE-PSK box is much more RF resistant than a laptop.
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 07:27:49 AM »

Seems to me that if all you may want to add is a laptop; that's two pieces. Well if you want it that simple (that I understand, I like easy and simple)You could use the Nue PSK digital modem. It will work PSK and RTTY. No computer needed and its only connections are to the radio and to the keyboard. That is lighter and easier to carry than having a laptop to lug around. I use the Nue PSK modem with both my FT-857 and FT-817. Works wonders with a simple vertical or dipole. I hope that will fit what you seek...It's pretty close. Good luck. Hope to find you on the air.
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 07:30:15 AM »

Sorry to be a repeat. Seems many of us really like the Nue PSK unit......Best of all it's not all that expensive...hi hi!
W6RQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 11:00:18 AM »

Thanks very much to all who responded. I appreciate your thoughts and advice. Most of you seem to be recommending the NUE-PSK digital modem, which I see can be ordered assembled (no kit building required). The NUE-PSK eliminates the need for a laptop and soundcard, but requires a rig. OK, that might be a good choice. But what I'm really looking for is an all-in-one radio+digital modem. The closest thing I've found is the PSK-20 (-30, -40, etc) from Small Wonder Labs (http://www.smallwonderlabs.com/). The main downsides for me is that it only does PSK-31 (no RTTY)m it's only available as a kit (though I could probably pay someone to build me one), and I don't know if there is an enclosure available for it (though one could be fabricated I'm sure). Does anyone have any experience with the PSK-20 etc? It has gotten good reviews here on eham.

If anyone has any other thoughts on a small, cheap, portable, self-contained digital rig, please let me know. Many thanks.

73, Curt W6RQ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »

According to the neu-psk page they are working on development of a self-contained DSP transceiver that is the same size as the modem an attaches to the bottom of it.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »

Hmm..

Looks like there is a new solution to this...
A Flex 1500 and a laptop...

See http://www.flex-radio.com/Products.aspx?topic=F1.5k_features

I'm back to drooling now...

de NA4IT
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 04:51:57 AM »

while you are at it, see if you can find the silver fleece
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 05:22:32 AM »

Humm, the FLex 1500 and the right software has some possibilities. The 1500 has a hardware mike connector on it but I wonder if there is a way to make a software interface between PSK31/RTTY software and the Flex software running on the same computer (i.e. no sound card connections). With everything being open source I'll bet it has some really interesting possibilities.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: