Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: **SIGH** Another IRC question.....  (Read 1636 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2010, 05:20:17 AM »

The IRC's I ordered over the USPS web site arrived. When I would purchase an IRC at the Post Office, they would always afix two stamps on to the coupon.  The IRC's I ordered don't have any stamps afixed to them.  In the square on the left side of the coupon, it reads "U.S. $2.10." The IRC information is all in French, which I don't know.  Do I need to do anything else with these coupons before using, such as run up to the post office, and get stamps put on them?  This is really becoming a pain.  Please advise.

V
KA3NRX
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:02:37 AM »

The IRCs need to have a local postmark stamp on the left side. Otherwise, they're likely not to be redeemable by the ham to whom you sent it. However, perhaps you are thinking of the postage stamps that the post office would stick on the IRC to bring it up to the current price. Since the IRC now costs $2.10, just as printed on the IRC, no additional postage stamps are needed at this time.

Dave
N6ORB
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »

Dave. Thanks for the reply. However I am still confused. Are you saying that I now have to take them to the post office and have them stamped with a post mark by the guy behind the counter before using?  And yes I am refering to the stamps that you mentioned.  I guess all I am asking is shouldn't this have been take care of when I bought them? Oh, I just can't WAIT for these people to run our health care system. Just waiting with baited breath.

Vince P
KA3NRX
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »

Yes, you need to get them postmarked. They might be accepted in some countries, but others will reject them and you'll have wasted $3.08 (including your airmail stamp.)

I bought some IRCs yesterday. The postal clerk was a rookie and started to give them to me without the postmark stamp. I pointed out the need to stamp the IRCs and she replied "Learn from the customer."

The day before, I went to the Napa post office and asked for IRCs. The clerk informed me that "We don't sell those anymore." No point to argue the issue. I just bought them in Concord.

In all fairness, this is an unusual item for most post offices. If you're just getting started and plan to pursue DXing seriously, you should probably locate the main post office in your area and get them to learn how to sell this item.

Dave
N6ORB

Dave
N6ORB
KC3RT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »

Vince. Thanks for mentioning that IRCs can now be purchased from the USPS web site. None of my local post offices want to be bothered with them anymore.

Gene
KC3RT
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 03:01:02 AM »

Hi Gene:

No problem.  However, if what our friend out in Cali says is true, we'll have to bother with them (the post office) regardless.  I am going to the downtown post office with my on-line ordered IRC's (with the purchase receipt) today at lunch time (that is if it's not teaming down rain at the time), and get to the bottom of this. Can't wait to see the response I get when I tell these people to post mark them.  Stay tuned.

V
KA3NRX
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 09:23:42 AM »

OK Here's the deal. I just got back from the Downtown PGH post office.  They stamped my IRCs with a post mark dated obviously today.  I thought the lady was going to give me a hard time by saying something like "I can't stamp these unless you use them today."  I thought I was going to have an issue. But the other lady came over and said she could post mark them today and they are good until the same date next year.  All appears to be good.  

V
KA3NRX
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 01:20:04 PM »

I hate to say it, but I have one more question. I don't need to have the Post Office afix any stamps on to the IRC's, Do I?  Because I paid full price, I am assuming not. But you know what happens when we assume. Please advise.

V
KA3NRX
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »

No stamps needed on the "new" IRCs. The new IRCs are $2.10 face value.  The old IRCs were $1.85 so it was necessary to put stamps on them to bring them up to the prevailing prices.
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »

Your experience shows how confusing IRCs can be, even for the postal clerks. Now that you have the IRCs postmark stamped on the left side, you're good to go. However, it should be noted that the IRCs are good until December 31, 2013, regardless of the date they were postmarked.

Good luck getting your QSL cards!

Dave
N6ORB
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »

Excellent.  Thanks to everyone for the input.  

V
KA3NRX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 08:27:22 PM »

Vince, not to beat a dead horse here, but now that IRCs cost MORE than $2 to buy new from the USPS, why even bother with them for any country other than Germany? I can see doing it with "recycled" coupons or for countries that US currency will invariably lead to a pilfered envelope, but for most applications a stack of dollar bills is easier to get and almost universally accepted.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »

Vince,

As if you're not confused enough by all this, let me add some fuel to the fire. The clerk told you wrong on the expiry of your IRCs.

If these are the new ones, which I am assming they are since they were $2.10 each, check on the back and one of the lines of text should say ,in English, the expiration date is December 31, 2013. If all is as should be; correct version with blue background on front and the buying postage stamp on the left front square then these can be redeemed at any participating foreign post office until close of business on Dec 31, 2013. Make sure you have plenty of time for mail delivery before the expiration date when using IRCs. Many folks send them and they expire enroute.

Your clerk was wrong in stating a year's worth of time only. Just thought I'd let you know.

Also for those of you whose PO tell you they don't have them or can't find them listed, just have the clerk do a lookup on item #330800 and they'll pop right up on the Point-Of-Sale (POS) system the PO uses.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »

W2IRT,

There was a thread on qrz where a VK ham was saying green stamps are worthless as the banks charge a monetary conversion fee that costs far more than $2 USD.

My work mate, who is from New Zealand, said it's the same down there too.
WD0MYM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 05:54:24 PM »

I have not had a problem with getting a card back from Germany with greenstamps. Some of the online qsl greenstamp/IRC charts seem to indicate the same thing.

Jon
WD0MYM
X-KB0TVL
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: