Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost my St. Martin QSL  (Read 543 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2010, 07:43:46 PM »

The contact I made during the contest, had his computer crash. FS/KT8X was classy enough to still offered a QSL, but I said I will wait for another. I figured I that I wanted to do it legitimately. He had a catastrpohic comptuer crash and lost everything.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:55:02 AM »

I had a similar thing happen for a Reunion Island contact a few years ago. The operator didn't offer any QSLs. Understandable. But why not take a back up with you? A sandisk doesn't take much room. I back up my log all the time. The last thing I would want to do would be to lose my log.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 06:29:37 AM »

Definitely. I would back to a thumb drive or such. In a contest, like every hour or so.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »

Ah hah, one of the advantages of being an old fogey and sticking with a paper log.  The paper log never crashes, the family dog may eat it (if the dog gets tired of homework) but it never crashes.  Spill a coke or coffee on it, no problem you can still make it out.
Troglidites, unite.
Allen
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »

That is definitely an advantage of an old fogie. However, as we said, there are precautions you can take to make sure you don't lose data.

The major advantage of computers logs, is that you can get quicl QSLs. I have 86 worked and 38 confirmed since Dec 29, most from LoTW. I have yet to even get back any buro cards, and I am already that high.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »

I think this is an excellent argument for the DX to upload to LOTW regularly and often. Some DX'ers think of uploading to LOTW as "giving information to the enemy" but really it's an excellent and universal backup for the confirmation info in electronic logs too.

Too many DXpeditions think they have to wait until they've been back on the mainland for 6 months or a year before they can upload to LOTW or start doing paper QSL's.

There are lots of dinky, one-man operations where the DX manages to upload to LOTW nightly or even multiple times a day. And they manage to do this from somewhat remote islands out in the pacific or from Antarctica.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 02:39:57 PM »

There are so many ways to backup data, that a crash as this catastrophic, is usually a result of not being careful.

My guess is his OS crashed. If it did, I would connect the drive to another computer as a D drive or such, and try to retrieve important files. Unless the drive mechanism failed, there is always a chance. He said it would cost upwards of $1,000 to try and recover. There is no chance I would pay that. I would try to recover it myseld, for nothing. If that failed, it is trash.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »

"Too many DXpeditions think they have to wait until they've been back on the mainland for 6 months or a year before they can upload to LOTW or start doing paper QSL's. "

Those DXpeditions that refuse to upload to LOTW for a extremely long delay are usually the ones that are trying to get you to spend $5 via their electronic QSL system for a QSL card. Although this is convenient for those seeking a paper QSL by not having to send a SAE or such to get one, if you just want the credit for say DXCC, it is sort of highway robbery to 'force' you to pay for the QSL or wait a year or more to get a LOTW credit. I understand that they state that the intended purpose of the 'donation' is to offset expenses but when not given any other recourse other than PAY OR WAIT, appearances say otherwise. I do however usually 'donate' to get the paper QSL especially if it is a rare one or a neat looking card. Otherwise I just wait for the time to run out and get it on LOTW.

I also support in many ways such as yearly NCDXF donations and OQRS payments too. I also buy an occasional DVD of DXpedition video.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: