Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-480 Computercontroling and log programm @ same  (Read 1052 times)
DG3MFV

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:58:24 PM »

Hi der Om's
i got my new ts 480 hx and i'm glad to have it it works great!
I set it on  with computer controlling and with a touch-screen monitor to make the controlling of the transceiver easier.
that works great!
But now my problem, that rig do not work in this constellation in contests. i'm not able to connect a log program with the computer-controlled transceiver.
that do not make a difference with or without touch-screen controlling.
i posted that question a few times at german ham-forums but i dont got anny answer. also a question at KENWOOD was not answered.
do someone of you have an idea how i can make run the ts 480 with computer-controlling and a log-programm (that use the informations from the tranceiver) at the same time? ( rs 232 conector is used by the computer-controlling)
i would appreciate anny help

vy 73 de DG3MFV Wolfgang
JN58WC   DG3MFV@DARC.de
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 05:10:04 AM »

In most cases, you have to use a contest logging program that includes the rig control capabilities as part of the logging program.  Basically, separate rig control and logging programs don't work together as they will not share the port.

So try not using the rig control program and try one of the better logging programs.
DG3MFV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »

tnx Dee for the fast answer, i wrote these question in 3 forums in germany too, and u are the first who replyed! do you know a logprogramm , that can controll the ts-480hx (us- version)
tnx again vy 73 de DG3MFV  Wolfgang
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:52:34 PM »

Contesting software only gives you limited control over the radio. I'm not home right now so can't check out the various programs that I use.  I'll try to write something more later.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »

Search for and try out the following programs:

N3FJP ACLOG - Great, easy to use logging software with many features and some basic rig control features.  He also has very good contesting software.

Ham Radio Delux - Great rig control features but logging has only basic features.

N1MM - Designed for contesting not general logging.  Medium level of rig control features.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 06:16:43 PM »

The DXLab Suite will control your TS-840, provides comprehensive logging (callbook lookup, award tracking, QSL generation, LotW and eQSL synchronization), and is free via www.dxlabsuite.com . The suite also supports rotator control (DXView), QSL route lookups (Pathfinder), DX and WWV spot collection and analysis (SpotCollector), Propagation forcasting and monitoring (PropView), and panoramic digital mode operation in PSK and RTTY (WinWarbler).

Commander, DXLab's transceiver controller, is optimized to complement the transceiver rather than waste screen space replicating ergonomic controls already at your fingertips. So, for example, you can click on a DX spot working split and DXLab will put your transceiver in split mode with the RX and TX VFOs appropriately set. You can configure Commander to continuously display the settings for frequency-dependent devices like tuners and amplifiers as you QSY.

DXLab development is driven by its user community via a Yahoo group that anyone can join. Suite components are upgraded frequently, often several times per week. Both initial installation and upgrades are fully automated.

Dave, AA6YQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 06:17:27 PM »

Sorry, I meant to say "The DXLab Suite will control your TS-480..."

Dave, AA6YQ
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 06:27:19 PM »

DXLab seemed to me (at least) to be a computer memory hog and required more time to learn its features.  But it may be suitable for what this gentleman wants to do.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 06:50:02 PM »

N8UZE, what version of Windows were you running when you tried DXLab?

DXLab is a suite of applications that automatically interoperate. One reason I designed it that way was to allow users to choose only the functionality they needed -- or could afford given available CPU and memory cycles. There are many DXLab users running Commander (transceiver control) and DXKeeper (logging) on 300 mHz Pentiums with 256mb of RAM.

There is, of course, a tradeoff between useability and resource consumption. If my goal were to make DXLab run with the smallest possible resource footprint, it'd be built around a command-line interface, requiring the user to type in cryptic commands and decode cryptic responses. Some hams would undoubtedly prefer software that runs well on their 20-year-old DOS systems, but that's not the dominant preference in my experience. The whole point of exploiting Moore's Law is to translate decreases in semiconductor cost into increases in human productivity -- in DXLab's case, DXer productivity. Since intuitive useability is high on my list of objectives, DXLab applications employ a fully graphical user interface that makes it easy for the user to access the functionality without hunting through menu trees. Does this approach increase memory consumption? Absolutely. Is it worth it? Go read the Eham DXLab reviews.

Dave, AA6YQ

N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 04:08:37 AM »

The configuration that you describe was exactly the computer and software configuration that I tried to run at the time.  I found that I could run vitually nothing else while it was up.  Since I don't devote a computer completely to ham radio, that did not suit my personal operating needs.

It is not a criticsm of the program.  Just something to keep in mind.  Everything has it's limitations.  

For example, my preferred software (N3FJP ACLog) can take a long time to sort things on very large databases and/or slower computers.  A fellow that had a 40 thousand QSO log could not use it for that very reason.

That's why each user must evaluate what is most suitable for their needs.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 09:17:18 AM »

N8UZE, what version of Windows were you running when you tried DXLab?

Dave, AA6YQ
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 09:47:18 AM »

Windows 98.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 02:55:10 PM »

Windows 98 is the problem. Windows 95, 98, 98SE, and ME share a severe architectural defect: all running applications compete for a fixed 64K pool of in-memory data structures referred to as "resources".

- there is no way to increase the size of this pool

- when the pool is exhausted, you cannot run additional applications, and Windows may become unstable

Highly-graphical applications like those in the DXLab Suite tend to consume more "resources".

Microsoft long ago corrected this architectural defect in Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. The Windows 9X family is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Labeling DXLab a "memory hog" based on its performance under Windows 98 is like labeling a 747 as "slow" based on its performance underwater.

Dave, AA6YQ
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 02:20:27 PM »

Yes I find Windows XP to be head and shoulders above Windows 95.

IF I should ever find that the software I like isn't up to the job that I ask of it, I'll probably try it again.

However, right now the software that I have suits me and does what I want it to.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 10:19:50 PM »

My objective was not to convince you to switch, N8UZE, but rather to correct the inaccurate characterization you've conveyed to others.

Dave, AA6YQ

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: