Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate long goodbyes  (Read 1296 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:58:56 AM »

I often hear someone working DX and when the QSO is coming to a close they commence a goodbye that exceeds the length of the QSO itself. Like so:

UA0ABC DE KC9ABC, FB VAL OM, TNX FOR GOOD QSO, 73, 73, GOOD HEALTH TO UR FAMILY, GOOD HEALTH TO UR DOG, HPE TO WRK U AGN SN, GOOD DX, GOOD THIS, GOOD THAT, GN OM, 73, 73 AR UA0ABC DE KC9ABC SK

With all the sending mistakes and then sending every other word twice it seems like an eternity for those waiting to work the DX.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:27:15 PM »

Sometimes the prolonged goodbyes are preceded by something like: "mni others clg so wont hold u OM but nice to wk u agn"

Chuck  NI0C
KC2MJT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:35:48 PM »

or XYL heart attack must QRT CUL . . . ad nauseum

;-)
Nate
kc2mjt
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »

DX window on 75 meters is even better!

One time, I heard Chod Harris, in Chad, work two stations while some one shoveled long good-bye into the pile up.
Bob
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »

KC2MJT that made me laff! I'm still chuckling.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 03:37:24 AM »

I like short goodbyes, too - but I also like to try to say "Ciao" to Italian stations, "Adios" to Spanish speaking stations, etc., along with 73 SK.

It used to be easy to send DSW (for Do svidaniya) to any station beginning with the letter U, but now it is much more complicated. I had a station beginning with the letter E tell me "no DSW, no DSW" so now I only send that in response to a DSW.

Anyone have a list of which prefixes using DSW for goodbye is OK?

John K3TN
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 08:09:42 AM »

That is funny but also pathetically true.  I also hate the PSK habit of adding all the logging details to the end of the QSO.  Rude IMO.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »

HAD TO TAKE OUT GARBAGE PLS REPEAT ALL SEVERAL TIMES TNX
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »

Try scrolling up....
Oh...I see what you mean!!!
LOL
Smiley Smiley
KQ7W

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 01:37:17 PM »

Word !
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 06:24:25 PM »

FB ON UR RIG FB ON UR ANT FB ON UR WX FB ON EVERYTHING WL ALL THE BEST TO U ES URS ES VY 73 CU AGN SOON ES B LOOKING FER U ON THE BANDS ES BY THE WAY MY DOG THREW UP ON THE CARPETING SO I NEED TO CLEAN THAT UP C U AGN MY FRIEND ALL THE BEST ES GOD BLESS...
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 06:36:46 AM »

This is some funny stuff, but true.

I remember reading when I was a young ham in an operating guide or something that this was bad form and I have tried to not do that ever since and actually give it a thought every once in awhile. Like the other night I got a chuckle: I was working a guy on 80 and he said he was going to go to bed. So, I said, FB, 73 and GN. Then HE came back with about a five minute good bye.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
AJ4MJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »

Seems like this is an area where common sense would prevail.

Think of real world analogies.  I might tell the guy at the toll booth to have a nice day, but I'm not going to tie him up for 5 minutes.  Likewise, the fellow on the bus that I just had a 45 minute conversation with deserves at least a "Well, hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.  Good to meet you".

So, in the radio world if I'm working a DX station who is exchanging "599 TU"s, I'm not going to give him much more back.  But, if I just chatted with a guy for an hour, I'm not going to just say "73 73 SK" and cut the conversation off like that.

And if I do have a "dog threw up" emergency (most likely kid related at my house), I'm not going to take the time to explain it all in my 10wpm CW :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: