Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interfacing Logger 32 to HW-101  (Read 420 times)
OKC

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2006, 08:17:50 PM »

I have a Heathkit HW-101 transceiver and a HD-1410 Electronic Keyer. I downloaded and installed the Logger 32 logging program which has a great CW memory-keyer/auto-keyer feature.

1) I'm not sure what hardware I need to get the program's output from the computer serial port to the RCA "Keyer Input" jack on my HD-1410 (or alternately to the keyer jack of the transceiver). Obviously it must translate the digital output from the computer to an analog signal, but I don't know what to call it or where to get one.

2) My assumption is that a more typical setup would be where the computer serial port is directly connected to a much more sophisticated computer-ready transceiver. Am I right about that?
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 08:20:45 AM »

As I recall the HW-101 uses grid block keying which puts a -100 to 150V on the key.  This would require a high voltage transistor to key and probably an opto isolator as well.  You don't want the high voltage running around your computer stuff.

I don't know anything about the keyer

Another alternative would be a reed relay.  If you can find a fast one and build a low voltage transistor driver for it.  I did this for a keyer I built for my SB102 and HW100.  You will need to look for one with a fairly good contact voltage rating.  Grid block keying does not require much current from the contacts.

I think the relay is the best idea.

good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: