Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up a "new station"  (Read 387 times)
KF5ELO

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »

I have a TS940S, wattmeter, Sb200 amp, and a dentron super tuner. I'm comfused about the order of attachment. Please cut me some slack. I just need help, not being fun of'

Tommy Dies        
       kf5ELO
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 06:54:31 AM »

If you just think about it Tommy, you'd have the answer. Rig, amp, wattmeter, tuner, antenna.

WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:24:08 AM »

To maybe clarify a bit more, remember that the tuner doesn't "tune" the feedline/antenna system, doesn't make it "work" better. So if you sense SWR downstream from the tuner, you're seeing just what you would have seen without the tuner. And if the antenna system is not inherently reasonably close to 50 ohm match, the amp will be unhappy. The amp is designed to present the radio with a good 50 ohm match, so you don't need the tuner before the amp. And since the amp is the last RF stage, you want to measure output and SWR beyond it, so you can see if your tuner is adjusted properly as part of the antenna system.

In not very precise terms:

Rig (driving power, likes 50 ohm load) -> Amp (looks like 50 ohm load to rig, wants to see something near that itself) -> Meter (sees final power out, sees if the tuner looks like a 50 ohm load) -> Tuner (becomes part of the antenna system to make it look like a 50 ohm unbalance load)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: