Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRO... what for?  (Read 36731 times)
EA5BLP

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:52:44 PM »

QRO... what for?
Perhaps this is a possible answer, bur for sure not the only one!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ea5blp#p/u/4/Q3V6X7Kb3sk
73 dx!

Juan
EA5BLP
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »

Check out WG5G on QRZ.com

DXCC #1 honor roll with 5 watts.  Amazing.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 03:37:39 AM »

Very nice on 1 watt Juan, he was using 500W!
Just goes to show how QRO does not matter many times.
His two element beam pointing northeast was not doing you much of a favor either.
So much for all those people who claim the listening station is doing all the work.

Thank you for sharing.
Tnx gud dx es 73s
N3LCW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »

Many of us use QRO to feed short antennas in CCR restricted environments.   It can make an otherwise small inefficient antenna very effective.

Andrew
N3LCW

QRO... what for?
Perhaps this is a possible answer, bur for sure not the only one!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ea5blp#p/u/4/Q3V6X7Kb3sk
73 dx!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »

QRO... for EME... definitely need a hefty amount of power there. For the setup I am putting together I have a 2 meter amp running an 8877 that will put out 1500w in hopes of bouncing 2m cw off the moon. There are other times and places for QRO as well.

I love QRP though, great to take a small radio on the trails and work someone in another country on 5w. I had built K2 and used that for a while but sold that to buy a KX1 kit for it's trail-friendliness. My little rockmite has worked hams on the other side of the US. Truly amazing.

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »

...because life's too short!
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 04:23:24 AM »

QRO for armchair AM ragchewing! 

QRP , QRO... they all have their place.  Grin
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 06:04:46 AM »

I agree with most of the replies on QRO uses, especially the CCR restrictions as I am in a similar situation. EME etc, all good reasons, but "lifes too short"? Does that mean that struggle and challenge is to be avoided by simply using force to overcome them? Or is finesse and patient, persistent application something which is to be discarded. Why not simply use a nuclear weapon rather than surgical strikes in a conflict? After all lifes too short, so why not simply make it a brutish game of tooth and claw. I apologize for the tone of this post, but these glib, witless answers need a rebuke.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »

Or is finesse and patient, persistent application something which is to be discarded.  I apologize for the tone of this post, but these glib, witless answers need a rebuke.

Well said. I've always found the "Life's too short
for QRP!" saying (and those tee shirts) somewhat offensive.

I am not anti-QRO. I have a several 100w
rigs and a kilowatt amp, but I also have built and enjoy
my 9 QRP rigs, from simple monoband CW to multimode,
multiband.

My ham interests are varied, but I don't go out
of my way to put down another ham's choice of style.
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 08:44:20 PM »

Or is finesse and patient, persistent application something which is to be discarded.  I apologize for the tone of this post, but these glib, witless answers need a rebuke.

Well said. I've always found the "Life's too short
for QRP!" saying (and those tee shirts) somewhat offensive.

I am not anti-QRO. I have a several 100w
rigs and a kilowatt amp, but I also have built and enjoy
my 9 QRP rigs, from simple monoband CW to multimode,
multiband.

My ham interests are varied, but I don't go out
of my way to put down another ham's choice of style.

I wish your QRP pals were as magananimous as you are.  I've been insulted many ways by QRP ops.  One signs all his emails "When you care enough to send the very least".  One QRP organization claims that QRP ops are better because "skill is better than power any day", clearly implying those who use 100 watts lack skill.

A skill test between a QRP-only op and a non-QRP op at the same station is instructive.  One can be a sharp op whether one uses QRP or QRO.  As I've seen it, though, the QRP op's best skill is patience - he's willing to hang in there a long time to get that QSO because his station is not capable of rate.

At a multi-multi contest station that I visited once, the QRPer in attendance had the poorest rate.  He never had practice being heard that well or hearing that well.

And rate is the reason for QRO.  There are many thrills in life, working 200QSOs per hour, for several hours on end is one of those thrills...that the QRP op never experiences.  It's not a "better" thrill, it's just one that QRP ops don't generally get to enjoy.

Each part of the hobby has its own passionate advocates, and that's good.  But don't insult others on the way.  Like the title of this very thread..."QRO...what for?"...that is not by any means nice to QRO ops.

- k
EA5BLP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:53:20 AM »

"But don't insult others on the way.  Like the title of this very thread..."QRO...what for?"...that is not by any means nice to QRO ops."
Kassy

Hello, Kassy.  There is some missunderstanding in this topic. My only intention  whith the question "QRO what for?" was to promote some disscusion abt two different ways- and many times complementary- of practising our hobby after a look to the QRP videos. In fact, if you read me, you will notice that I say "this is not for sure the only answer"... I have also a 800 watts QRO amplifier and I use it when I need.
This problematic and competitive 21 century has modeled our attitudes always in a defensive position...We need a bit of calm. Perhaps more than some dose of watts.
73 dx!!
EA5BLP
Juan.

Juan
EA5BLP
AG8K

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 07:30:04 AM »

In the afternoon on 40 meters when the QRN is high and the band is just about dead, QRO really helps. It certainly helps on Summer afternoons on 80 and 160 when the S meter reads S7+ with no signal. I also haven't had much luck working 40 meters SSB with my FT-817ns and G5RV using 5 watts.     

With CW there is plenty of action at 5 watts or less when conditions permit.  17 meters and up are great bands for working low power.  I have had good SSB QSOs at QRP on 17 meters.

Just like automobiles.  Who really has to have a big V8 to go over 120 MPH.  If you have the money and the desire, then get that Mercedes V8 or that Alpha amplifier.   

Tom AG8K
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »

I like QRP, I like QRO also, as has been said by others on this thread, each has its place and time.  I had an FT-817ND a couple of years ago, took it and a Diamond HV-7A mobile antenna with the assorted coils and a mount that could be used on fence rails or balcony rails.  I had a QSO with a friend of mine on 20 meter SSB phone from Vera Cruz, Mexico to Ft. Pierce, Fl a goodly distance to be sure.  From then on I was hooked on QRP, now then, had some difficulties and had to sell my 817 and a couple other rigs to take care of some medical issues that my insurance wouldn't cover.  I vowed then that I would get another QRP rig, yea, I have the 100 watt rigs and 2 Ameritron amps, one does 800 watts and the other is the 600 watt solid state amp.  It just didn't sit right that although I could and did dial my poser down to 5 watts turn the amp off and go to it.  I wanted something that would do no more than 10 watts max, figured I can still do some voice and what not.  Well picked up a 2 week old 703+ for a really good price, with that in hand, my buddipole, my ACER Aspire netbook and my Signalink USB interface I've got the best of everything right there.  I've used this setup a couple of times, I'm still getting my feet wet as far as the digital modes are concerned but it is fun learning. 

Just because we have 100+ watts to use doesn't mean we have to, all this power we have at our disposal is a tool at least for me to use when I deem it either necessary due to band conditions, or I'm trying to competer with the other kilo watt stations to work the next pile up.  Some times I turn the amp on just for the hell of it, just want to run some power for a change.  I do use my amps for 1 hour in the morning on 40 meters, either my 811H or more often than not I'm in my front room with my feet up at my Lazee Boy HF station.  From then on I go back to either my Pro III and 100 watts or my TS-480HX 200 watts to listen, but my main focus right now is my 703 and my GAP Challenger and the digital modes PSK being the main mode for now until I learn more.

We don't have to stoop to name calling or one mode is better than another, its not, there is a niche for everyone, if you can't find something in amateur radio that you find interesting or fascinating then maybe you're in the wrong hobby.  If I were able I would love to be able to do a lot of the other modes this hobby has to offer, but being disabled and on a pretty fixed income (read disability) I can neither afford nor am I able to get up on the roof or work on my tower with out a lot of help.  That being said, what I have now will see me getting the most out of what I have and being satisfied in the fact that I can be the best operator that I can be, be it QRP or QRO!   Hope to work you on the bands or the waterfall..

73 de Mark
W3LZK
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 06:29:16 AM »

As much as I have enjoyed QRP over the years, (my first radio was a  brand new TenTec PM-1), with the bands in such lousy conditons so much of the past couple of years, I have used my SB-201 often. I keep several skeds on 75 and 40 ssb, and if you want to be heard over the static, qro often is the only way to do it. I got an Elecraft K2 a while back, and the receiver makes it an incredible radio, and it has rekindled my qrp CW operating. But with the present overall band conditions, I still rely on my amp for a lot of SSB operating. When conditions are right tho, I really enjoy chatting on qrp CW. But there will always be a place for both in my operating.
OH2FFY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 10:54:09 PM »

This problematic and competitive 21 century has modeled our attitudes always in a defensive position...We need a bit of calm. Perhaps more than some dose of watts.

Exactly right.
So many people are quick to get bent out of shape over nothing now days. , even Hams.

Hams can get so competitive , and that is amazing , because amateur radio was never , and is never about competition.
When people get sucked into a competitive attitude they lose focus on what Ham radio is about , the technical and educational growth through radio-electronics experimentation.

Ham radio is education , not competition.

Take for example contesters , just think to yourself , how many old timers do you know that have been contesters for decades ?? - I bet you can't name many.
The reason , competition is not fulfilling.

Now how many old timer QRPers and home brewers are out there ?- LOTs.
Because that IS what Ham radio is about.

gregW:-)  OH2FFY
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: