Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photo QSL Software?  (Read 588 times)
K3AN

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2006, 05:53:02 AM »

I'd like to try making my own photo QSLs, taking a suitable digital photo file and using the computer to superimpose my callsign and city/state onto it. I would want to control the font size and style, as well as the location of the text. The software would need to combine the photo and text into a single jpg or tif file, which could then be photo printed at the drug store or an online service. At 19 cents or less per print, it seems like a cheap way to create a custom photo QSL card in small quantities, and have a card for every occasion (mobile, Field Day, special event, etc.)

Microsoft Photo Editor can't do this. Do you know of any simple, inexpensive (or free) photo editors that can? I really don't want to invest in an expensive, heavy-duty program like Photoshop to accomplish this.

Or maybe there are other ways to do it.

Many thanks.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 06:28:42 AM »

I should have done a Google search before I posted my question. I found that the freeware version of Ultimate Paint (www.ultimatepaint.com) does exactly what I had hoped for. You can add text boxes to the photo, with control of font size/style/color, as well as position. Once you're done, save your work with a new name, and you have your jpg file, ready for photo printing.
KB9YGD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »

Well my favorite is QSL MAKER its free just do a google search for it and download it.A *.jpg is a lossy file format meaning every time you edit and save it it loses some more till its very noticeable.The best is a  *.tiff or a bitmap a tiff you can edit without loss and it a smaller file size than a *.bmp.So you save the *.bmp and open it in qsl maker and get it just like you want it and print it out on 10 mil heavy mat or glossy photo paper and trim it with a good trimmer not sissors.Now if you want to post the pic on the web and/or send it in email copy and save it as a *.jpg file.Using qsl maker requires you to change the numbers in the boxes to move the stuff around on the qsl card its very easy if you have the desire and time to do it.73,Norm.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 03:21:27 PM »

I use the free program "Irfan View " to do mine. It may not be a fancy as some but I can make cards look pretty good.
Frank
AI5RB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 03:00:43 AM »

Wonderful freeware: Paint.NET
http://www.getpaint.net/index.html
AI5RB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 06:54:41 AM »

QSL Maker:
http://hfradio.org/wb8rcr/
Pages: [1]   Go Up