Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stolen Hustler 5BTV HF vert  (Read 5138 times)
W7NYG

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:22:45 AM »

Add me to the list of hams that got ripped off.
My 5BTV is 25 ft tall. Thursday night around 11 PM just 18 ft from my bedroom the antenna was stolen.

It probably was not anyone that is a ham. I guess drug money was the motive.

Some one had to scale a four foot chain link fence, cut three guy ropes and loosen the mast clamps.

The thieves had to lift the antenna up and scale the four foot fence. The antenna was mounted about seven feet above the ground.

The person who stole that antenna did not make enough noise to wake our watch dog in the house.

I now have a motion detector flood light aimed on the mast tilt assembly and surveillance cameras that work day or night.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:56:50 PM »

Yep, it probably has been broken up for scrap already.

shame,

Tisha Hayes, AA4HA

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
QRZDXR2

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »

next time hook it up to a horse elect fence charger inside the house... then when they try to steal it you will know when they touch it .. grin..

Sad thing is . they know you will replace it and when you do ... they are planing on coming back to do it again.

We had the alu can scavangers around here that used to raid the city recycle bin we had.  Didn't say anything to the city about it but then when the neighbor had some of his alu parts stolen...out of his shead... things changed.   Sure enough it was one of the homeless jerks that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar so to speak after the neighbor put a wireless silent alarm in the shead.  

The cops didn't do anything.  The guy was cocky and threating after the cops left.  So we helped our neighbor envoke her 2nd admenment right.  The old rock Salt still works today.

and guess what.. he never came back.. go figure.

Seems the cops called a week or so ago and aske my neighbor if she had seen the guy again... she said that guy....after they were so benine... she gave it back to 'em... didn't know who they were talking about .. was her answer.

Yep the hotwire fence works in strange ways to keep little hands from becoming the devels tool

Well at least they didn't take the watch dog too...
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »

Boy, talk about low down dirty stinking thieves!

You'd think if they were stealing it for scrap, they would know to steal the coax too. Copper fetches a higher price than aluminum. Maybe they were CB'ers?

Don't know what I'd do if I caught someone stealing
or messing with my antennas. Probably something I'd regret later in court.......it's illegal to use deadly force to protect property, even if the "deadly force" doesn't kill the guy. I've still got some .357 "Black Talon" rounds left over from when they were still sold. I bet one to the kneecap would really hurt.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »

I once had a fibreglass Shakespeare 18 foot antenna stolen, that I had retuned for 10 meters.  Took it down and laid it beside the home. Not too long later it disappeared. Well being non metal I assume it was not stolen for the scrap value.  Maybe some doofus wanted a fishing pole for braggin rights.  Well I would say put up wired dipoles but I have heard of hams wire antennas being stolen for the copper, so....
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:26:08 AM »

AD6KA..."Boy, talk about low down dirty stinking thieves!

You'd think if they were stealing it for scrap, they would know to steal the coax too. Copper fetches a higher price than aluminum. Maybe they were CB'ers?"

Why would they be CB'ers? Why not another Ham or an SWL? Or just a plain old Thief?
KJ6FOB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 11:51:13 PM »

Probably thought it was a good UHF/VHF antenna needed to get the wonderful government digital signal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: