Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Life Into Old Junk  (Read 638 times)
KI4HTR

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2006, 09:06:33 PM »

I have this Pentium 350MHz machine with a 10 gig hard drive, CDROM, 128 Mb of RAM, running Windows NT 4.0. I need to use it at my operating position. I want to replace the NT 4.0 with Windows 98, but it seems I have to turn off the NT 4.0 and run the Windows 98 setup from DOS. I have two questions:

1 - I can bring up MSDOS, but the NT is still running in the background. How do I turn off the NT 4.0 and get to DOS?

2 - I plan to use this computer for dial-up internet surfing, word processing, and some basic shack utilities. Nothing fancy. Do you think it will be adequate?

The price was right (free) and I have the keyboard/mouse/monitor/modem/printer/Windows 98 CD. I'm a real greenhorn when it comes to this stuff.  Your input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Angelo
KI4HTR

K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 09:12:29 PM »

if you are going to do it., re-format the hard drive and then start with the windows 98 install.

it is the best way.

kevin

N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 04:08:28 AM »

Why do you need to switch from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 98?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 04:09:29 AM »

Also to do such an install, you have to boot from the CD so that windows NT is not loaded.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 02:37:53 PM »

hi angelo,

the ms dos sessions run in the background under NT.

NT is more stable then 98, 98 is at end of life support at ms, so no more security patches or fixes.
NT has way better memory management the 98 ever had,
NT is all 32 bit not 16 bit code like 95/98 etc.

NT has the NTFS (file system) better then FAT system 98 has, NT will not support USB ports but 98 will with a driver for the usb device.

I used nt workstation for over 7 years on a 486 33mhz 256mb memory ibm before changing to a newer ibm netvista running windows 2000 pro.

do you need to run software under dos ?

73 james
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 07:29:34 PM »

remember , if you are using a newer printer, that is just usb, nt4.0 does not support usb.

kevin

KI4HTR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 11:44:26 PM »

I want to thank everyone for their help.  I ended up downloading a boot disk, changing the boot order to boot from the floppy, formatting C:, running setup.exe on the CD, and here I am!  I have to tell you though,  it was a real PITA.  I ended up trying different combinations and finally hit on the right one.  

I've changed the order to boot from C: again,and my machine boots up & starts Windows well.  I'm going to call it a night and mess with it tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

BTW, I had considered leaving NT on there, but it was giving me a hard time with my printer.  Also, the lack of USB support tipped the scales in favor of W98.  Again, thanks to ALL of you for taking the time.

Angelo
KI4HTR
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 06:36:03 PM »

A good reason for not running NT is that while you can run DOS (in a box) some dos programs that want to use
IO, sound or other facilities directly are likely to
work poorly or need special setup.

However NT4.0 does support USB, least mine does but
you have to find and install the required drivers.

I like NT for it's robustness.  I also run a Win98se
box for those ham apps like PSK31 and others that
really need to drive the IO directly.  I also keep
an older 486/66 running DOS 6.22 for those times
when that is more than enough.

Allison
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 10:07:13 AM »

Another option, instead of using ancient dreck like Windows 98 would be to install some flavour of Linux on your machine. That way you'd get an up-to-date operating system that can still run your old machine. Not all of today's distributions can run effectively on a 350 MHz machine, but there are minimalist distributions designed for this (like Damn Small Linux). It's fine for email and web browsing. The only problem would be if you have particular Windows applications that you need to run.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: