The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious about contesting  (Read 1917 times)
M6GTX

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:46:57 AM »

Hello
Is there any way I can call contesters without being part of the contest and without mucking up their logging?  I often wonder if I can contribute to them without getting signed up as a contester.
N3XP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:00:26 PM »

Not everyone turns in logs, and the task of cross checking every log turned in is monumental if not impossible.  Furthermore, since you are not participating in the contest and you are not turning in a log, the only rules you need to follow are the ones issued by agency that issued your license.  There are many different sites that will tell you what contests are going on and what the exchange is.

Have fun with it.  Contests do one thing well, they get people on the air.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:04:01 PM »

If you meet the conditions of the contest, your contact would be most welcome by the contester.  Since you are DX (from US perspective), that would be most all contests.  You should check out the particular contest rules, or listen to others making contact, to understand what the exchange is (RST plus power, or whatever).  Submitting a log is not required.
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 05:54:44 AM »

As has been pointed out to me, make sure you give out more than one contact so you will not be a unique call.  I usually try and dish out several dozen at least.  Go to:

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=293

And make sure you understand the exchange.  Also determine the rules regarding how to avoid dupes.  Some contests are limited to one contact between stations but most allow one per band/mode.  Keep track of who you have worked so you are not handing out duplicate contacts.  Some contesters get rather grumpy about that.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »

N3XP cross checking logs is done with computers. It is not a monumental task for such a beast.
N3XP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 07:47:55 AM »

Sean,

Contesting is just another part of the hobby, and I stress hobby.  It should be fun.  There are a lot worry warts out there that get hung up on details of rules and reading in things like "spirit".  When it no longer becomes fun, move on to something else.  Some of the best fun you can have contesting is when you are not competing, turning in logs, or worrying about the definition of paragraph 7 section 2, the third sentence where it says may (getting all worked up over whether this means you can or can't).  Who cares, its a hobby.  It's fun.  If it stops being fun and seems like work, its time to find something else to do.

You can find a contest every weekend that you can toil with.  Enjoy.
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:39:29 AM »

I'll second that... in fact, I often say "73, have fun!"  when I sign with a contest station.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: