Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RE: Coax "Window Jumper" Alternatives  (Read 679 times)
WA7NCL

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »

I got some RG-174 and attached connectors to the ends and then just smashed the window down on it.  Actually the stuff I used was teflon and it deformed a little but it didn't short out.  It works well enough on HF.  Also note that the window is vinyl so shorting to the window frame is not an issue.

Alternatively consider using some double sided thin circuit board material that you could slip under the window.  Or some copper tape with insulating tape to separate it.  A really short piece of small zip cord might work.  A close spaced pair of wires might work.

The comercial product is just a pair of flat conductors separated by a tough insulating layer.  It is designed to be 50 ohms and has connectors on it.

For just HF use, you can cheat on the impedance if you just make a short run to get thru the window.  Almost anything made of a pair of conductors closely spaced with a dielectric separating it would be between 50 to 150 ohms impedance which will make only a small bump in the line at HF.

If you are going to use it for VHF/UHF then I would suggest buying a commercial device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: