Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 1278 Software.... Multicom for Windows, NOT !  (Read 4447 times)
N4EWS

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:05:01 PM »

What's the best software to run the 1278 ?
I bought a "VG condition !", 1278b and software on Ebay. Come to find out that the Multicom for Windows software won't let you change the callsign once you have installed it from the floppy disk they provide ! So I called MFJ, they said that person who wrote the software made it that way to keep people from making illegal copies !! I can understand the reasoning but what if you change your callsign !

Also, I haven't found anything that says that the software could not be transferable !! I even told them that I have the original disk ! They said so sorry, buy another program from our software selection !!

I've bought lots of new and used MFJ products in the past, but I think that it's time to stop ! If this is their idea of product support, I don't need it or anything else they make !!!

So can anyone help me find software that will let me use all the protocols from CW to SSTV on the 1278 ?

TNX

Joe   N4EWS
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »

i had that setup 20 years ago...

i think you are slightly being unfair in your concept of product support.

how long do you keep your cell phone before you get another?

electronics and product support the way products evolve in the present lead me to believe that if you get support for 3 to 5 years out past the original purchase you are doing good...

carl - w9pmz
N4EWS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »

Hi Carl,

I would agree with you to a point.......

But MFJ still sells Multicom for Windows !
Go to their website and search for MFJ-1289W.

TNX

Joe   N4EWS
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 05:14:42 AM »

Joe,

I would be surprised to find much software that supports transference between users in either the security controls or the EULA.

Why not just download Ham Radio Deluxe http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com and use the DM780 that comes with it? It's free and only requires a sound card or a SignaLink http://www.tigertronics.com device to operate?

I wouldn't ding MFJ for a piece of software someone else authored. You didn't expect them to send you a free replacement copy, did you?

Don N4TTS
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:33:11 AM »

I bit the bullet and bought the Multicomm for Windows.  However, you can use the regular winTerm software for the packet, PACTOR, AMTOR and RTTY stuff(provided you have the manual with the commands) and use MMSSTV or something else for the other modes with a soundcard.  I found that Multicomm is limited on the SSTV modes.

That is a good compromise!

Good luck and 73 DE Bert, KA2UUP
GW0DIV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:39:21 AM »

This is why you should back up a program that's on a floppy before you install it! Then you can copy the "virgin" software back onto the disc to re-install it.

Rhys
GW0DIV
K8SOR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »

If you get a new copy of multicom, before you do anything, make a copy of the disk. Put the original away, and use your copy. I did this with mine as I used 2 different calls, my amateur call and my Mars call(on mars freq's).
K8SOR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »

Joe, Do you have email?  Send me an email, I'm good on QRZ.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »

Always copy an install floppy first -- for backup, of course.  There is a file that gets written to the floppy when it is installed.  Delete the file and you maybe able to re-install the software.  At least that DOS stuff could be worked with -- nowadays, its anyone guess.  I made a mistake of not copying A disk for an install of software for a FT-2600.  Then had my hard drive fail and managed to use the accompanying FT-90 software (which had never been used) to make the disk/software think it was a first use.
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 12:04:33 AM »

Have you checked XPWare for Windows? The earlier DOS version included the MFJ modems so the Windows version may also... It is no longer supported by the author and is now offered for free.

http://www.glaswerks.com/xpware/

73 Dave
N4GRF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 08:19:52 AM »

Gentlemen:

I feel your (respective) pain. I just retrieved my MFJ-1278 from my equipment museum, to discover that the serial ports are RS-232 multi-pin clunkers, the software was provided on a 5-1/2 " disk, and that the $69.00 software they currently sell is delivered on a 3-1/2 disk. Not much more useful than the 5-1/2 version. Hello? In which decade is MFJ operating?

Over the 45 years since I've been licensed, I have trafficked with all the manufacturers: Lafayette, Allied, Radio Shack--when I was poor and later, ICOM and Yaesu. But I've never dealt with any company like MFJ. I returned a defective Astron power supply three times before it finally was replaced. I rewired a Ameritron linear amplifier to correct several major wiring errors in its factory construction. When I called the MS factory I was stonewalled, but Hams adapt and overcome like the Marines!

The lesson here is clear: the way to send a message is simply to stop buying and advocate for better quality control. Insanity is defined as expecting different results from the same behavior.

Tragically, MFJ purchased the ham division of Cushcraft Antennas--in my four decades, the most responsive plain old helpful group of people in the business. Although it difficult to screw up an antenna company with classic designs, I'll be watching to see how they will destroy this venerable company.

Vote with your feet, and sharpen your pens. After all, we're a fraternity and we should demonstrate fraternal solidarity, comrades!

Tom N4GRF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: