Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7000 shuts off when I key  (Read 449 times)
K1QF

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:29:39 PM »

I have a new IC-7000.  I have briefly operated CW with this rig, but today when I attempted to key, the rig shut down - tapped the key and the power switched off.  It did re-start without any problem.  Never had this happen before with any transceiver.  No tuner, I am connected to a PAR electronics end fed 20 meter antenna.  Seems to work fine on SSB.  Must be missing something simple. Help!  Thanks, Dick, K1QF
K1TWH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »

Dick,
   I've seen my IC-7000 do something similar when the connections to the power supply are less than ideal.  Reseat the power connections and then reseat each of the power fuses.  Look at your power supply voltage at the power supply terminals and see what they do when you try to key the radio in CW and compare to SSB.  It seems as though there are a few rigs that are critical of the supply voltage drooping when keyed.  The IC-7000 is one and I did have a Kenwood TS-690 that reacted the same way.   73,  Tom  WB1FPA
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »

I have had three different transceivers do this. In every case it was due to RF getting into the radio.

One solution that has worked is to attach a 1/4 wavelength radial wire to the GND screw on the back of the radio. For you this is 16' 6". Lay it along the floor.

Another fix to try, if you don't want a radial wire on the floor, is to add RF chokes to the feedline in the shack.
K9WJL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 03:56:41 AM »

The one I have in my mobile does this sometimes when I TX without the engine on. Seems to me a voltage level issue.
 Also I had a 706MK2g that would shut down while tuning the screwdriver. Disconnecting the external speaker helped that.
 If you're using the seperation cable, make sure you have installed the little screw into the rig at the cable termination. This is a little ground connection to keep RF off the cable.
 Bill K9WJL
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:08:12 AM »

The reason you're having problems in this case, isn't necessarily caused by low voltage.

You state you're using a PAR end fed dipole (a misnomer for sure), and therein lies your problem. Almost no matter how you install it, there will always be a large amount of common mode current flowing on the coax. Remember, the RF has to return to the source, and since there is no counter-acting element (ground plane or other element), it uses the outer surface of the coax; that's a classic common mode current problem.

WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:33:54 AM »

What does it do when transmitting into a dummy load?
Then check the voltage at the radio while transmitting.
Low voltage or RFI are the usual culprits!

-Mike.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:16:14 AM »

Since the radio works fine on SSB, I'm guessing your problem is voltage drop in the DC line. What kind of power supply are you using? What is its output current rating? Have you measured the DC voltage?
K1QF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »

Thanks to all who replied.  It turned out to be a voltage drop.  I marvel, once again, at the helpfulness of fellow hams.  Much appreciated.
Dick, K1QF
N5XO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »

Check the power connection into the back of the rig, similar issues in the past with my TS 2000 and my 756 Pro II and Pro III.

Not sure what power cord the 7000 uses, but the 6 pin plugs used by Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu have solid connection issues that can cause this problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: