Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the Yaesu FC-40 be used on the 840?  (Read 820 times)
KC3JV

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »

Can the Yaesu FC-40 be used on the Yaesu 840?

TNX Mark
KC5CQW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:21:30 PM »

Probably not, I know it works on the FT-857 and FT-897 series and the FT-450. What does the 840 manual say? There is a group on Yahoo! that focuses on the Yaesu auto tuners. Perhaps someone there knows for sure.
Sorry I couldn't give you a straight answer...
73, Damon
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »

Definitely NOT plug & play, but there *may* be a chance you just might get it to work. Time for some detective work! And of course you'll have to make your own control cable (If you can figure out that it can be done).

The FT-840 provides two external antenna tuner ports
on it's rear panel. One is for the FC-800, which is *similar* to the FC-40. It is a "long wire type" tuner , and uses a control cable to the rig. The other is for the FC-10, an unbalanced "coax" fed antenna tuner.

Now you have to look at what information the FC-40 Control Cable needs from a transceiver, and determine if it can somehow be provided by the FT-840's antenna tuner ports. Can you get Data In, Data Out, something Yaesu calls "TX_INH", and "Reset"? Of course you can get the 13.8vdc it needs.

You will have to download and the manuals & relevant schematics for the
FC-40 tuner
FT-840 rig
FT-857 rig
FC-800 tuner

Maybe you can get by without band data, and have the tuner just tune longer every time, I don't know. I am really curious as to what "TX_INH" on the FC-40 control cable refers to, but can't find a FC-40 Service manual.

Good luck, think of it as a challenge!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: