The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW Kenwood HF/6 rig at Dayton!  (Read 6354 times)
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 06:16:23 PM »

Can you?Huh?
N7WS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 06:48:29 PM »

AJ4MJ asks K9FON:

"You can judge a receiver's performance just by looking at a picture of it?"

He's clairvoyant.

Imagine what he thinks of a Perseus.
WB9QVR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 07:21:52 PM »

K9FON:  In response to your note about the high-end HF rig here's the history as I understand it:

A year or two ago Kenwood started working on a new high-end HF rig.  There was even a placard at Dayton a year or two back with some photos that were ostensibly of parts of the new rig (there were no overall photos of the rig).

At some point Kenwood's plans changed in favor of a mid-range rig (the one which was shown at the Tokyo show and is apparently designed to compete with the K3).  Work on the high-end rig was put on hold while the mid-range rig was developed.  According to reports from the Huntsville and Tokyo shows Kenwood still plans to release a high-end HF rig but only after the mid-range rig is launched.  The apparent plan was to release the high-end rig sometime in 2011 but since the mid-range rig won't actually be on the market until later this year it seems likely that the high-end rig will not appear until 2012.  I suspect that we'll hear (or see) more about the high-end rig at Dayton 2011.

That's the information that I have after reading reports from a few months ago.  If anyone has better information please feel free to correct me.

One last thing - I wouldn't judge a rig by its looks.  One reason is that the photos from the Tokyo show were of a mock-up that didn't even have labels on most of the buttons.  I think it's likely that the final version will looks at least somewhat different.  Secondly, if one compares a photo of an Elecraft K3 to that of the mock-up it's not much of a stretch to believe that Kenwood is in fact positioning it as a competitor to the K3.  The K3 is arguably one of the best performing radios available today.  If Kenwood can approach that level of performance while keeping the price of the rig in that same range as the K3 they will have a winner.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: