Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: klm 2 meter beam  (Read 2030 times)
KC2ISA

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:56:11 AM »

have an oppertunity to pick up a 16 element beam for 2 meters made by klm...all i could find out about this antenna by surfing is that klm went out of business in 1999...anybody know anything about this antenna???
N5XO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »

KLM is now M2 Antenna's. Same model numbers, antenna's, etc. I use nothing but KLM and M2 antenna's and I'm very happy with them.

M2 has improved upon the construction of the antennas compared to the older KLM's, but they are still the same basic antennas and worth putting up on your tower.

I have 2 of the 11 element 6 meter beams, one is an older KLM and the other is a newer one from M2. I like the construction changes, but the manuals fit each other perfect for tunning and they are stacked and give me one hell of a punch.

Same with the large tri-bander {now called the killer tri-bander}.

If you need manuals, etc google M2 Antennas and get all you need.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »

I had four of the KLM 16L 2m beams back in the 1970s when they were new.

It's a very good antenna.

It uses multiple driven elements in a log-periodic feed system to help make it a bit more "broadband" than a conventional Yagi with a single driven element.  It also came with a sleeve balun, which is very important and you need to use it!

Have you seen this antenna, and does it have all its "parts" including the sleeve balun?  If so, you're in good shape and it's competitive with the best antennas on the market today.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:35:22 PM »

Yeah Steve I agree that the antenna is a very solid performer. The natural home for log cells in conjunction with parasitic diectors and a reflector is from 10M and higher to about 2M the upper limit for this hybrid class of directional beam. The driven elements are helpful in broadening the frequency response or passband if you will but they are also a major contributor for the increase in gain over and above an optimized yagi as compared when both are placed on an equal length boom. For example when a 5- element logcell is designed with an optimal tao and sigma it is around 100 ohms and produces a gain by itself that is much higher than when a single dipole style driven element is incorporated. Therefore the boom length of a log cell yagi is decreased by a factor of roughly 50%....incidentally the monoband version I built for 10M was fully functional for twice as much bandwidth as an optimized yagi so therfore the logyagi would crush a comprable yagi out at it's band edges because the logyagi would maintain all of it's inherent attributes where the yagi would lose them and become very apparent when compared properly logyagi will always offer good utility from 10M to 2M.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: