Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux Login over Radio  (Read 592 times)
KC2OZU

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:48:31 PM »

Hi,

I'm a relatively new ham and an avid Linux/Unix user. I was wondering if anyone has attempted a telnet or ssh login over some form of packet radio? What program/hardware setup?

I spend a lot of my time in the local area around my house. What I would like to do is have a dedicated VHF or UHF (or maybe 800/900 Mhz) transceiver at home, and a paired one connected to a laptop in my truck, so that I can get command-line (VT-100 terminal or equivalent) access over the radio.

Any suggestions?
KI4DSO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 10:37:06 AM »

Since encryption isn't allowed on the amateur bands, ssh is out of the question, but telnet will work, if you don't mind everything, including your password being sent in clear text.

Check out the Linux AX.25 Howto, which is available all over the web.  It's kind of old, but most of the information is still accurate.  To summarize: you'connect your Linux box to a TNC*, and set up what looks to the computer like a regular network interface, and will be able to send and receive data, over the air, using the AX.25 protocol.
 To enable incoming logons, there's a program called "node." The AX.25 Howto has a section on setting it up.

*In place of a hardware TNC, you can use a program called soundmodem, which sends and receives audio data through the sound card, and converts it to digital data, the way a TNC does.

I've only experimented a little with this stuff. I've successfully connected my computer to an HT and used  soundmodem to receive (but not transmit) APRS data.  Perhaps when I have more time...

Hope this helps.
KC2OZU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 04:13:44 PM »

Yeah, I know about the encryption thing... I guess I'll need to get another machine to use for this.

As to password, that's not an issue, I was planning on having a very restricted system and leaving it open to any hams in the area that want to use it.

The AX.25 thing sounds like a good option.

I've been looking around on the 'net a bit, and found a lot of commercial units for point-to-point RS-232 serial communication. I saw one from microwave data at: http://www.microwavedata.com/products/datasheets/9710.asp

It's a 900 MHz .1-5W all-in-one unit which does 19.2kbps data. Any ideas? Would the range be sufficient, and could this fit the amateur service regulations?

I'd really like to keep it to the simplest possible setup. I was thinking if I could do RS-232 over the air (like they do telemetry) I could do serial login.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 06:51:36 AM »

The 900MHz or 33 Centimeter band is open to all Amateurs except Novices and covers 902.0-928.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data.

If you can shift the operating frequency to this range, it seems very feasible.  The only problem I can see is the units you cited cannot communicate with each other but, communicate with a master station.  So at minimum, to make a point-to-point connection, you need a master and one or two remote units.

Dennis KG4RUL
KC2OZU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:15:04 AM »

Dennis,

The spec sheet says "MDS Transceiver Series is field configurable as a master station or remote radio".

My one concern is that I'm sure these will be very expensive. I was wondering if anyone knows of anything like them that would be budget-friendly??
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:42:29 PM »

Be aware, also, that some of the 802.11 channels are also ham frequencies and that you could potentially modify commercial wireless networking gear with more power and more substantial antennas.

I think you're allowed 1W uncontrolled and 100W with automatic power control on some of the WiFi channels.

Don't know much about the details but I'm sure a google search could turn something up.  You'd only have to worry about the RF end here.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WA6ODQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 10:26:30 PM »

I've been developing this over the last few months and it is almost similar to what you are trying to do.  http://odqmail.ianthurston.com

You could have a program on your base station computer, which upon connect, puts you thru to a telnet session to your linux server and relays the data between telnet over ethernet, to packet over serial and vice versa.

I have a version of this also in the works, but it's for Windows, but that wouldn't stop you from running a telnet session to Linux.

The website for this won't be up for awhile, but the program is called TNCBridge and will be available at http://tncbridge.ianthurston.com

-Ian, WA6ODQ
KC2OZU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 08:20:56 AM »

Ian,

I took a peek at the site... interesting. It's not exactly a fit for me, I do NOT run windows...

But was just wondering, will this be GPL'd?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: