About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YI9PSE  (Read 7660 times)
K4ZMV

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »

What the heck is wrong with people, hams in particular?Huh?  The intentional QRM, the comments, what the heck.  Why do grown men and women have to behave like that?  Piece of advice to DX'ers listening to that garbage ...... SHUT UP!  Your LID comments don't help.  Ignore those idiots and maybe they will go away.

To the hams, I assume you are a licensed amateur radio operators, that insist on acting like you are six years old, please find something else to occupy your time.  There is no excuse for your behavior.  GROW UP!

No place else to rant, but after listening to the kiddies behavior for over an hour I am seriously thinking about throwing all the radio stuff in a box and putting it out in the trash next Tuesday.  I sure wish the idiots who behave like that would self identify at Dayton this year, 'cause someone just might throw a punch.

73, Jim, K4ZMV
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:51:55 AM »

I snagged em' on 20M Phone first day (yesterday) and 17M phone this morning..no problems

73'..Tom N3ZC
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »

" I am seriously thinking about throwing all the radio stuff in a box and putting it out in the trash"

Hey, just let me know when you want to throw it out. I will ride over from S.C. and save the garbage guys backs.  I can probably find a buyer. hi hi

Seriously, though, I can only suppose you are refering to the YI9PSE expedition getting some QRM, etc.??  Dont know how long you have been DXing, but it is just about "par for the course" for the QRMers, Jammers and other assorted idiots to get their jollies on the first day or two of a semi-rare expedition.

I have had YI confirmed for a while, so not a biggie to me. I would like to add a band or two. I am waiting until they unleash their CW operators and then go for it. I packed my mic a long time ago, and dont even consider bringing it out unless it is a rare, gotta-have all time new one which is ONLY working SSB. CW is the answer to a lot of your concerns, as I dont hear nearly the garbage there as on SSB.

Take a deep breath, and I feel sure you will work em. But......  If you REALLY want to treash your stuff, let me know. hi hi    Gene
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:10:49 AM »

"What the heck is wrong with people, hams in particular?Huh? The intentional QRM, the comments, what the heck. Why do grown men and women have to behave like that? Piece of advice to DX'ers listening to that garbage ...... SHUT UP! Your LID comments don't help. Ignore those idiots and maybe they will go away."

What happened? I was out in the yard doing yard work all day. This morning (Sunday) is the first I heard them.. I am on 17M and they are weak.
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:31:03 AM »

Just listened in vain on 20 ssb.  Extremely weak, even with 6 elements pointed at them.  Barely an S-2.  Not even copyable on 17M.

Attempting to call for "west of the Rockies", but it sounds like their OP is very new to the pileup game and is only getting 1 or 2 Qs a minute.  Struggling to dig a callsign out.

No skin of my butt though.  Sounds like he is having fun (which is the point).  Still have 8 days to catch them.

Just remember, it is only ham radio and YI's are not THAT rare.  Take a breath and get back into the mess.  If it starts to bother you, step back and do something else.

Brad
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:37:11 AM »

The crap you have to deal with is part of the fun I think..I hear the "Band Police" right now on 18145..Getting thru a SSB pile up is very satisfying. CW is usually a "gimmie" If it were easy..wouldn't be any fun. They were faint early..I waited for the signal to come up..& snagged em'..They are loud & clear right now (1430 UTC) on 18145 (17M) here just south of Baltimore. Yesterday, on 20M Phone..their signal came up little after 1800 UTC (think they just started little before that) & I snagged em' on 20M Phone.

I was told my antenna isn't making a difference..& that it's all propagation..so  ;-)

What's your setup (antenna-wise)..Stay in there & you'll snag em'..Just keep at it..

P.S. If you trash all of your equipment, Gene has a great setup already..give it to me instead ;-)

73'..Tom N3ZC
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 07:50:52 AM »

Easy as heck from NJ this morning. Couple of calls with the amp on both 17 and 20, not that I needed them on either band. Hopefully they'll have propagation to N.A, on 10, 12, 80 and 160.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K4ZMV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:00:32 AM »

I got them on 40 Meter CW last night easily, but I had to listen through a lot of unnecessary garbage.  I've been DX'ing since 1959 and the intentional QRM and crap has only recently (the last ten years) gotten really bad.  I just really had a bellyfull last night.  I only operate CW, so I can only imagine what SSB sounds like.

Naw, I think I'll keep the gear, Gene.  It's just two K3's and an Expert 1K-FA to either a 40M Four Square, 80M full 1/4 wave vertical, or a KT34 Yagi, but I like it.  I really do not understand how grown men can act so juvenile.  If it bothers them that much, don't they know where the on/off switch is?  That's what I did last night; turned them off.  I usually like to listen to both sides of a good pile up, but that was not doable last night.

Anyway, glad you guys got them.  I restarted my DXCC at this QTH, so YI was a new one for me.  YI may be common on SSB, but you don't hear them much on CW.  Or at least I don't.

Hope you guys get them on all the bands you need.

73, Jim, K4ZMV
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 08:13:27 AM »

Haven't snagged them yet.  They seem to be struggling to put in a decent signal to the west.  Lots of 1,2,3 and 4s have been working them.

No so much for us 7s and 6s.

Brad
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »

I am reminded again of why I hate SSB operation.

It's @ 1500Z and I just worked him on 20 SSB.  At least I heard him repeat my call, but he never confirmed the QSO before he went on to another station.

The op is obviously quite inexperienced at DX operations and has apparently never contested or run a pileup.  His metabolism is set on dead slow.  He is listening on spot frequecies rather than spreading out the pile a bit.  As a result he's not copying callsigns and is making MAYBE one QSO every couple of minutes.  Frustration level on both ends is high.  He's going by the numbers and taking the areas out of order, so don't you dare walk away from the rig for a cup of coffee or you'll miss your opportunity.  I was just lucky to hear him go directly from 5s to 0s.  And NO, that wasn't because he was aware that propagation to 5 and 0 is similar.

To make matters worse, he selected 14.236 as a listening frequency.  Anybody recoginize 236?  Yes, the SSTV freq.  Of course the SSTV ops are angry, and with good reason.  It didn't take them long to find the DX and cause intentional QRM.  Turnabout is fair play in their eyes.  I don't condone intentional QRM, but they believed that's exactly what was happening to them.

It seems to me that 20 SSB is exactly the worst place to put a novice op when on a DXpedtion.  Someone with more experience should have at least been coaching this guy.

I hope this isn't an omen for the rest of the expedition.  I notice a definite lack of CW ops in the resumes on the YI9 website.  Let's hope there's some folks along that are better at managing a pileup.
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 09:14:35 AM »

They need to ID much more frequently. I worked them on 40 CW (I guess), but in 10-15 minutes never heard them send their call.

Tor
N4OGW
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »

I thought their 17m ssb OP AH6HY was excellent... no fuss, no panic, just business.
But 17 is a different world to 20... 20 did seem more of a mess. They are putting obvious effort into 6/7'land

I'd certainly be happy to trade you some Southern EU lids for N. American ones ;-)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 09:43:33 AM »

K0RS Sez: " I notice a definite lack of CW ops in the resumes on the YI9 website. Let's hope there's some folks along that are better at managing a pileup."

It's early yet, BUT seems like they are favoring (so far, anyway...) SSB and working in the General portion of the bands a lot. Not the usual "pattern" which I have noticed from most of the major expeditions. Usually a lot of CW on the very low ends of the bands in the early days. Oh well, we have a lot of time. I have YI on SSB, but would like CW in the log as well if not too much trouble. (Maybe they are saving the best to last. hi)
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 09:46:17 AM »

Yes, I can hear them calling "west of the Rockies" a number of times.  Only at an S-2 at best.  Go hoarse yelling onto the mic.  They don't seem to acknowledge any stations below about S-5 which makes me think they have lots of noise and QRM.  

What is really weird is that I cannot hear them at ALL on CW.  Not a peep.  Just throngs of folks calling.  They are louder on SSB (which isn't saying much).

And they don't even register on 17m.  Just an undecipherable little whisper.  

I appreciate their efforts to work us 7s and 6s but the propagation just isn't there.  Hopefully it will pick up later in the week.  Until then, they should just work East Coast and EU so as to get them while the getting is good IMO.

Brad
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 09:49:04 AM »

FYI..

They were on 40 CW last night for quite a while...

They've been on 20, 30 & 40 CW..Do a search on DX Summit..

73'
                 Tom N3ZC
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: