About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YI9PSE  (Read 8500 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2010, 11:52:08 AM »

Well, this afternoon, they were on 20CW with signals  approaching 20 over S9 around 1730Z here in S.C.  What a difference a couple days make!  Gene
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »

From their Twitter Page:

"YI9PSE is starting the tear down process. We will have one CW and one SSB station active during the tear down. QRT is very soon."

73'
                     Tom N3ZC
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2010, 12:47:45 PM »

We are now QRT and on our way home from IRAQ. We made over 50,000 QSOs with over 15,000 unique calls.

We will be at Visalia and Dayton if you want to ask us about aspects of our operation.

Thank you,

Paul N6PSE
YI9PSE Team Leader.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »

I would like to see statistics on just how many LOW POWER stations made it thru.

Seemed like the only ones to make it in the log were the ones that had the BIG AMPLIFIERS, the BIG ANTENNA systems and the Ones that had the ALC DISABLED and the MICROPHONE GAIN cranked WIDE OPEN.

Didn't seem like there was much chance of the little guys making it.

I suppose thats life, and I could Monday Morning Quarterback all day, maybe NEXT TIME !!!
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »

KB3LIX: "I would like to see statistics on just how many LOW POWER stations made it thru."

Propagation (or the lack of) was/is the main culprit.

I've worked that area of the world with no problem many times. I do have a SB200, but my antennas are wires and a vertical.

The only time I heard YI on 20m loud enough to try was the first day. After that, they were never out of the noise enough to copy.

17m, the second day was decent, then back in the noise.

The last couple of days, 40 cw was just above the noise. 40 ssb was just out of the noise enough to pick out a word here and there.

30m was actually pretty good the next to last day.

Nothing on 80m or 15m, and I didn't even look on 160m.

No, I didn't work them either.

Not from a lack of effort on my part, or a lack of op's in YI trying to work everyone (thanks), just sorry propagation for a week or so.

The guys on the east coast had an easier time of it, but that seems normal for dx that direction.

Oh well. Thanks to the YI9PSE guys for going. At least I had a chance, slim as it was.

73, Tom
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »

Results from the Ridgecrest, CA weren't much better than elsewhere sounds like. A bunch of local area hams listened on several bands but never heard anything to brag about.

On Friday evening 4/9, I had been listening to 20M SSB for about 3 hours. Every once in a while I would hear them come up out of the noise but not enough to even attempt to try and work'em. I was about to hang it up and suddenly their signal popped to S5 and they were clear as a bell calling QRZ West Coast. About 30-45 minutes prior to that there had been a big pileup of W6's and W7's trying to work them yet here was YI9PSE calling QRZ and no answers. I quickly answered and was greeted with a reply on the first call. 20M SSB in the log. On Sunday afternoon, a similar condition occured on 20M CW but not so prominent in signal level. A little filtering and a couple calls and 20M CW in the log. As far as I have heard only 2 of us locally made QSOs with the guys in IRAQ.

My station is modest although not QRP. I run about 550W-600W peak from the setup of a TS-940S exciter with an Ameritron AL-811 amp into a Force 12 C3S at about 40 foot. So far I have been really pleased with this configuration which has been in use for about 3 years. I just obtained a 60 ft 3-section freestanding crankup tower and hope to have it up this summer along with a larger antenna. I have my eye set on a Force 12 Delta-6 40-10M six band yagi to replace the C3S.

YI9PSE was number 204 for me. Thanks guys for the new one. I hope to speak with you at Visalia this weekend.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2010, 05:35:50 PM »

Last week was not a very good week for low power DXing. I thought it was one of the worst weeks in quite some time. I doubt very many low power stations made it through. There is a link to the stats on their web page, but you have to enter your call and see if you had any QSOs before the link appears.

Highlights:

CW - 48%
SSB - 45%
RTTY - 7%

EU - 71%
NA - 13%
AS - 13%

Uniques - 38%

As you can see from the continent breakdown, it just wasn't in the cards.

I don't think I even heard them - maybe ESP a time or two but that was it. Fortunately I don't need YI, but I know for those that did it was rough missing this one. Having been there many times myself, its best just to move on and get excited about the next big one - say VP8/O. Good location for NA, great ops, probably better propagation, us low power ops should have a decent shot at this one.
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2010, 05:29:00 AM »

Well..I snagged them on 3 bands on Phone. Saturday, when they first started, as Gene mentioned, they were sorta loud on 20M..got em' there..Sunday they were sorta loud on 17M & got em' there..I think it was Friday or Saturday night this weekend they were relatively loud on 40M Phone, snagged em' there too, but only after playing with the notch filter to kill the CW someone was QRMing with.

I have a modest setup sorta like Gene W5DQ mentioned..but a slightly different yagi & 811H amp

But all & all..they were not loud at all here generally..Better than 3W6C though!!

73'
               Tom N3ZC
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2010, 06:59:15 AM »

8 QSOs, 5 bands (only 1 needed, 80m) from NJ. The first one (20 CW) made without the amp and only a couple of calls were needed. I did use the amp for the others, but aside from the needed 80m contact, it was just so I could get in and out as fast as possible and not add to the noise-floor. They were quite loud before the geomagnetic disturbances hit and my tower/yagi combination isn't a world-beater by any means.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »

YI9PSE DXpedition QSL cards are now at the printer and may be in the mail shortly after the Dayton Hamvention.

Thank you everyone for supporting the YI9PSE DXpedition to Kurdistan.

73's

Paul N6PSE
YI9PSE Team Leader
www.YI9PSE.com
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »

The YI9PSE DXpedition has been approved for DXCC credit by the ARRL DXCC desk.

Members of the YI9PSE team will be speaking at the DX forums and ICOM booths at Dayton Hamvention next week.

73's

Paul N6PSE
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2010, 10:14:36 AM »

The YI9PSE DXpedition QSL cards have been received from the printer. They will be going into the mail over the next 3-4 weeks, as time allows.

Thank you,

Paul N6PSE
Team Leader-YI9PSE DXpedition.
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »

Got my YI9PSE card today.. Grin

73'..Tom NeZC
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: