Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WPX, CW  (Read 1617 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:51:39 AM »

I will be operating the CQ WPX, CW 'test in May. What are some tips for a high score? Is it a free-for-all and does US work US?

I have not decided what category to compete in. I'm deciding between QRP or high power tribander. My antenna is an all band vertical.
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »

Everyone works everyone in WPX.

With your callsign you probably have an exclusive multi. Even as a little pistol, you may have some good runs, especially when you're spotted...

Note the scoring system: Contacts on the lowbands (160-40m) are worth more points than on the highbands. So 40m is usually the money band, where you get the highest point/QSO ratio due to the many DX QSOs.

Mults count once over all bands, so 160m/10m are usually rather irrelevant in this contest, except when there is a good opening that allows for some substantial QSO rates.

Hope to work you. I'll be part of the M/2 effort at DL1A (at DJ6ZM's super-station). Possibly using a different call; DL1 is not exactly a rare mult Smiley

73, Fabian DJ1YFK

N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:43:23 AM »

Great advice given.   I am looking forward to the cw wpx.  My head is still hurting from all the racket generated in the phone test.

Good Luck,  and most importantly,  Have FUN and enjoy your effort.  The wall paper for a good score doesn't really mean much in the long run, but the experience is priceless.

Ray
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 12:04:53 PM »

If this is your first WPX (and it sounds like it might be), don't plan at all on getting a "high score" in any of the broad classes. Maybe pick an interesting single-band class. Focus on learning the patterns and dealing with the environment.

The environment of the WPX is IMHO more brutal than ANY of the other comparable contests. I'm not saying there's no room for little guns, but you have to learn to work in a completely brutal environment filled with a lot of big guns who don't give a damn about you unless you're a new point or multiplier.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 12:45:33 PM »

Thanks for the great info. I think I'll run QRP with exclusively search and pounce. My goal is 600 QSO's.
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:46:07 AM »

I will be operating the CQ WPX, CW 'test in May. What are some tips for a high score? Is it a free-for-all and does US work US?

I have not decided what category to compete in. I'm deciding between QRP or high power tribander. My antenna is an all band vertical.

With a call like yours, you should consider some running.  As a QRP station, consider running higher in the band.  Eventually you will be found.

I'd recommend focusing on 7.0 MHz and up.  For score maximization purposes, 40 meters is a great band as its as good as 20 meters at night and intercontinental QSOs are worth 6 points.  So, park yourself on about 7050 or 7060 in the evening and CQ away.  Being on the west coast and being QRP, the EUs will be tough to find, but eventually the VKs, ZLs, JAs, and UAs will find you.
KQ7W

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »

WX7, nice prefix, that is the reason I got my KQ7 prefix myself.. just keeping WPX in mind.

Look forward to work you guys, will be SO AB LP from home (100w and all wire antennas) looking for some runs !

GL
W6ONV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »

Just another W6 here, but looking to put in a full 36 hour effort as a SOAB. It will be a 3 band operation for me, 20-40-80, unfortunately I believe most of my QSOs will be on 20, which is not what I am after. We will see, regardless it will be a good time in S&P!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: