Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Send/Receive Email Over Packet  (Read 473 times)
WA6ODQ

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2006, 12:54:48 AM »

I have developed a software package that allows your station to be an email gateway, all that's required is a TNC and your computer connected to the internet.

I have used it to send/receive email while mobile (connect to my home station and start typing).  It's authenticated by callsign and connects to the user's POP3/SMTP server, or if you host email like me you can create user accounts on your server to provide email access to whomever you like.

It's been tested with Comcast and Windows Exchange Server 2003, and the only TNC I have tested it with is a Kantronics KPC-3.  It should work with any Kantronics TNC as the command structure is the same, if you want to see a little preview you can check it out a
http://odqmail.ianthurston.com.  I will have a trial version available for download shortly, just check back in to the website for updates.

I'd appreciate any comments, either here or using the website feedback form.  You can also do callbook lookups as well.  The interface looks like a standard BBS interface with comprehensive help and features.

-Ian, WA6ODQ
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 05:10:24 AM »

"ODQMail was developed as an alternative to wireless pay email services offered by the "big guys." All it takes is a base station on the internet, and a computer (Windows 2000/XP recommended) to run and you're off!"

WOW! Somwthing else boat owners can use to avoid paying for Sail Mail!  Or, should we callit WinlinkII?
WA6ODQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 09:55:12 PM »

ODQMail is up for download at http://odqmail.ianthurston.com.  I encourage everyone who tries it to post on the message forum (link on website) to share your thoughts.

-Ian WA6ODQ
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 06:42:54 AM »

ยง97.113 Prohibited transmissions.

(a) No amateur station shall transmit:

(5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be furnished alternatively through other radio service
KC4RAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 07:59:40 PM »

Yeah, I was wondering if this might cross a boundary somewhere...
WA6ODQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:18:30 PM »

Hello, thank you for your input.  

Not trying to play devil's advocate, but what would the "alternate radio service furnished reasonably" be?

There are other alternatives to APRS and Winlink, I don't see where one could draw the proverbial line.

Email set aside, other features include Callbook lookups, Traffic Conditions and Weather by Zipcode.  What is the alternative to that?

Thanks!  (and I'm really not trying to be a pain in the side, just getting all aspects covered and the hope that anyone in the hobby can make use of what I'm trying to do here.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: