Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: logging program recommendations  (Read 708 times)
K3TD

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2006, 12:57:07 PM »

I'm looking for recommendations on a program for general logging that will run on Windows xp.  Most of my operating is contesting and I use N1MM for that, but I would like to have a program that I can use for casual operating too.

Thanks in advance and 73,
Tad, K3TD

Tad Danley, K3TD
EM10dq
VE3VID

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 03:25:43 PM »

Hi Tad.....I picked up DXbase this past summer. Love it so far.  It isn't cheap, about $100.  And full featured....man I still don't know everything this program can do....you name it. Rig control; rotor control; syncs w/ your database DVD, syncs w/ DX Atlas; user custom screens & toolbars.  And your contest software will import via ADIF. Custom reports, labels, award tracking....  Definitely worth a look.

Cheers!!
K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 03:45:04 PM »

Tad,
I have been using DXKeeper for a couple of years now and I love it.  There is a support group on yahoo and regular updates.  It has several optional additions to it, DXView, Pathfinder and several others.

I am currently running it on XP and I have never had a problem with it.  I just wish they would get it going on Linspire or something similar I am getting somewhat tired of XP.  

GL es 73,
K5CQB
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:32:45 PM »

N3FJP's ACLog
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 07:00:59 AM »

Second for N3FJP's ACLog.  Also, his Field Day log works great!
N9IJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 03:00:15 AM »

I've used Logic for many years. It does awards management and can be set up for contesting though no real replacement for WriteLog or N1MM. Check it out at www.hosenose.com
KV9U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 06:40:10 AM »

I have used the DXLab Suite for a number of years now. This enables me to not only log with DXKeeper, but also control my rig with Commander and that works with Multipsk (from another author) for sound card modes, including some that are not available with any other program. I can alternatively use the Win Warbler module for PSK31 and RTTY. Then there are the DX View, and Prop View modules for additional capability. Also, Spot Collector although I don't use that one very much.

Overall, an amazing suite of programs, that no other program can touch and the price is free!
K2QPN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 06:33:24 AM »

I have been using Logger32. Works well. Very flexible and has RTTY, PSK, CW, rotor and rig control built in. Best of all it is free.
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 12:06:48 PM »

Hey Tad.,

try my program., it is free.., won't cost you a penny.

kevin rea
k6rea
http://www.hamlogbook.com

KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 10:02:41 AM »

Tad,

Having written a widely accepted logging program (250+ registered users in 14 countries) back in the early days of Windows OS, I had a desired set of features that I wanted for my logging use. After my free time would not allow me to continue to develop the AMATEUR RADIO LOGBOOK program for future Windows versions, I went looking for a replacement. My last prg version got hit by the Y2K bug.

For several years I used ACLOG and it sufficed but I always felt it had shortcomings that just weren't being addressed, namely data processing features. I talked to Scott about the need for further expansion in this area. Scott did a good job at what he has but I didn't like the fact that he just says to use an outboard utility (namely EXCEL) to do any detailed analysis of the QSOs for awards etc. He has a rudimentary awards tracker but lacks in my opinion. I will say it is a fun little logger and worth the money to register it.

Within the alst year, I wanted to update my logging environment so I looked at many of the available logging programs. I like the full suite of functionality that LOGic v8 offered and was about to bite the bullet and buy it when I came across DX Suite Logger. It has a very similar set of functions in 8 linked applications; logging, mapping, DX Cluster, propogation forecast, QSLing, awards tracking, reporting, etc. And the best of all is the price. It's free where LOGic was around $130+ for the entire pkg.

I have been using DX Suite for about 4 months now and I can say I have not been sorry in the least. It allows me to do everything I need to do without any external programs like EXCEL required. If you haven't made the decision yet, do yourself a favor and check out the DX Suite. It is a very robust and streamlined pkg but I will admit, takes a little hands on to learn it thouroughly like anything at what I would call a professional level.

Good Luck,

Gene
KI6LO
author of AMATEUR RADIO LOGBOOK (1988-1994)
AH6FC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 07:08:30 AM »

Hopefully you're still reading these posts...a month later.  Take a look at Ham Radio Delux, it's free, is a great rig control and very good logging program.  Truly an amazing product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: