Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: portmon and USB-to-RS232  (Read 3938 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:16:48 AM »

I first read about Portmon today as a diagnostic for a HRD problem.
A search in this forum gets no hits for "portmon".

Reasons for my posting today:

1. I'd like to know if Portmon can be used to diagnose "USB-to-RS232" converter problems.
Even though I have the latest, up-to-datest Keyspan-drivers, I do have an on-going issue with Keyspan USA-19HS working with Vista.
The Keyspan device works fine with XP.

2. In googling on "portmon", I see there is some concern about it having a virus; is there some site from which Portmon can be downloaded un-infected?

73 de KM3K FN10je
BG2US

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »

2 google , in: http://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx

just  in microsoft company himself web. about 142 kb.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »

I have a Yaesu FT-950 with HRD 5. I just purchased a new Windows 7-64bit laptop, and when searching for a USB-serial adapter, I found many companies that do not support Vista or yet. KEYSPAN IS ONE OF THEM. JUNK! I even emailed them, and they didn't have a answer as to when they would release a driver. Hello! Are they serious?

Anyway, a search followed, and I purchased this apapter:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-232&cats=106&catid=482%2C1303%2C199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601

It supported all modes of Vista and 7. Works like a charm and I have never looked back. I would dump the Keyspan, if I were you.
K5MBV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »

I have the USBgear converter and driver. It doesn't work for me.
I noticed that they say it works for "MOST" applications (not all.)

In the future I won't buy any transceiver or ham equip. that doesn't
have a USB port or whatever the new laptops will be using.
Ken  K5MBV
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »

.....I would dump the Keyspan, if I were you.
That is good advice from N4NYY.
After spending hours and hours trying to get the Keyspan USA-19HS Angry to work with my Dell-Inspiron-1525-laptop, I gave up on it.
I bought Radio-Shack's Gigaware device and it works just fine Smiley.
The local Radio-Shack had it in stock and I got $10 off due to a coupon from a previous purchase.
73 Jerry KM3K
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 05:05:01 AM »

In the future I won't buy any transceiver or ham equip. that doesn't
have a USB port or whatever the new laptops will be using.

The problem is that it won't guarantee that you won't still have issues at some point. Even though the USB is built into the radio, it still requires a driver on the computer. Upgrade the operating system and the radio's USB may not work until you get a driver for the new operating system. If the radio mfg choose to use usb chips that don't have good long-term support then you may find that you have a boat anchor. Printers are a good example. Many otherwise working printers ended up in the scrap heap because the mfg never provided driver support for a new operating system? At least USB to RS232 converters are relatively inexpensive.
NB3O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »

For those older DB-9 style boatanchors, see FTDI's DB9-USB-RS232 Modules.
$22 each from Mouser.  Does need the free FTDI driver (Windows 7, Mac, or Linux).

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/DB9-USB.htm

"DB9-USB-RS232 range of modules provide a simple and fast method of migrating existing DB9 based RS232 connector interfaces to USB 2.0, without the need for any board re-design. The modules feature a USB2.0 mini-B connector on a module which fits a standard 9-pin DB9 connector footprint. "

"Ideal for legacy applications which feature DB9 based RS232 connectors.  The modules provide a method of extending the life-cycle of these products with USB2.0 connectivity, with minimal redesign."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: