Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC 271H vs. IC 7000 on 2 meters all mode?  (Read 1583 times)
NV2A

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:57:04 AM »

I have both radios. Bought the IC 271H off eBay and got cheated, the radio has very weak receive audio output.  One of the best guys in Buffalo Ham circle looked at it for me and could find nothing wrong with it.  It has audio but not enough if someone else in the room is talking.  My other 271H of years ago would blast you out of the room.

As I have an IC-7000 that also has 2 mtr all mode, is there an advantage to the 271H as far as it's ssb receiver that makes it worth trying to find a fix for the weak speaker issue?  In other words, should I cut my losses on the 271H and assume the IC-7000s receiver is as hot as the 271H?

I'll give a cookie to each respondent who doesn't feel compelled to start off with "it all depends" as I all ready know that.  I'm looking for someone with a history of both of the radios I own that can give me some advice.  Thanks !!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »

There isn't any relationship between "sensitivity" and "loudness" or "volume."

If the 271H can't fully drive a speaker, my first guess would be something wrong in the audio output stage.

How does it sound if you use headphones instead of a speaker?
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »

Generally speaking, the 271H will run you out of the shack if you turn the volume up.

For "low audio output" the most likely problem is in the audio amp. And, considering the 20+ year age of an IC-271H, the problem is quite likely to be an open coupling cap. Electrolytics do dry out, but they are cheap and usually easy to replace.

Considering the cost at Mouser or DigiKey, I would pull the schematic, make a shopping list of all the 'lytics on the audio board, and change them all. The sound will be the better for it.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:00:06 AM »

For convienence and versality I guess a DC to Daylight rig is the way to go but I believe a rig designed to do it's job on one band will most always have the performance edge.

As far as the audio problem....if something obvious does not leap out at you, try an email to Scott Malcom    mts@toledotel.com.

He is THE ICOM GUY. If there is an inherent audio problem he will know about it...if not he will set you on the right path to fix it.  If it needs a trip to the hospital, he is reasonable, quick and very good.

PS. I like chewy peanut butter best then chocolate chip and my call book address is good (hi)
NV2A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:26:56 AM »

Thanks guys for your help.  My first 271H of 15 years ago would infact blast you out of the shop but this one will not.  My friend who looked at it for me replaced the audio driver but he said no significant difference. Pete, I'm going to try your suggestion of hunting down the lytics and try that, at this point I have nothing to loose buy my time....I'm retired Smiley

I have subscribed to this thread so if someone comes along with a good answer I will get it.  Again, thanks for your suggestions guys.

ray....nv2a
NV2A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »

Late findings on IC271H low audio out.

THIS IS SIMPLY AN UPDATE ON AN OLD THREAD AS IT MAY HELP SOMEONE ELSE OUT.

I have someone working on my 271h that seems to know something about it.  He says when this radio first came out it had very weak audio stage and guys complained about it.  Icom came out with a redesigned version with much stronger audio section, that must be the first one I owned.  The radio I just sent out is evidently predating the other one.  My repair guy says he thinks he may be able to modify it for stronger audio without too much trouble.  Just thought I'd pass along the info.
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 12:44:40 AM »

One more thought, an amplified external speaker might just do the trick and they're cheap enough. Try an old amplified computer speaker. As long as you don't get RF feedback then all is good.

Win
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: